Page 8

"You know who they are! They want her...they want her." She choked and started crying. I threw a paranoid glance over my shoulder and was grateful for the large window letting the light pour into the room. Had this happened last night there would have been a problem. 

"Why do they want her Alice?" Doctor Thompson pressed. I can't see this ending well. Alice just cried harder and shook her hear more vigorously. I wanted to know who they were and I wanted to know why they were after me. I obviously wasn't going to get that information right now. "We'll come back to you." She said and looked to Matthew, asking him what he thought.  

"She smells like rain...and Alice is right. They want her more than anything...because she knows, and they'll do anything to get her." He was staring right past me the whole time. Doctor Thompson cleared her throat and turned her gaze to Adrian. 

"Well Adrian, do you have anything to say about her that isn't about 'them'?" She asked. He shifted his empty eyes to her and didn't say anything for a couple seconds. 

"She stared at me." He stated emotionlessly.  

"Did she? Why do you think she stared?" Doctor Thompson asked him. I hate how over interested she sounds. His jaw clenched and he didn't say anything. About half an hour later the session was over and there was no more talk of me. Why would they talk about me in the first place? I've only been giving them their crazy pills for two days. What affect could I possibly have on their progress? 

After that I gave the more...um...the less dangerous people their medication. Wendy was about two hours late, which annoyed more than just me. I mean, sure we're volunteering but they're apparently running a little short on staff. If they didn't need us to be here they wouldn't call.  

Not wanting to be with Wendy for a multitude of reasons, I sat in the front of one of the rooms where the patients just kind of roamed and did their own thing. It was so sunny out. I wasn't crazy about sun, but in a place like this, the more the better. 

I stared mindlessly out the window across the room and lost myself in thought. I was so transfixed and distant that I didn't notice the person approaching me until they sat down.  

"You act like you should be locked up here." He commented, bringing me back from my faraway place. I shifted my eyes to Adrian and tried to get past my shock. This seems like a random time to talk to me. 

"Oh...I've just been kind of out of it today." I replied nervously. I'm not talented when it comes to making small talk. I've always preferred to be left alone.  

"Right," He said dismissively. "So what did the King of Insanity mean when he said you knew?" He asked me quietly. I met his eyes for a second before sighing and attempting to explain.  

"I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just feel like something that shouldn't be is going on here."I answered cautiously.