Chapter 55 - Frosty Predicament, Bozeman Christmas (Brennan Conrad POV) Pt. 8

Chapter 55 – Frosty Predicament, Bozeman Christmas (Brennan Conrad POV) Pt. 8

I'm not sure what my face looked like but after leaving Devin on Antone's bus, my siblings did not question Javier or myself. Thankfully. Instead this blanket of confusion, disbelief and despondency swaddled us – all levels of sociability and membership between my siblings and Javier were lost.

All that seemed to remain after the truth coming out was bad blood, indecision and wretchedness.

At this point I had concluded that we were not staying in Arizona but I also would not dare ask for more information. I was so far in the doghouse I needed to buy furniture.

I had seen less of Devin now even on the same trip than any other time in my life but at this point, I did not so much make peace with it as be grateful.

Leaving Devin with grandpa had given me time to move pieces together and apart. I considered my self luckier than Talia and Javier. At least I had already ended things with Devin, Javier had given up his family to follow Talia and as of yet, well she was lost in her head.

Me on the other hand there was a level of fear that I just developed and I could not seem to get over the hump that my mind created. Hell I'm not sure Talia was on the same page but if anything she had more reasons to make things work with Javier.

Devin? I knew that there was a part of her reasoning that was justified, but at the same time, the part I played made all that a moot point. How was my aunt supposed to know there was a breach when I was helping Devin cover it?

Had I not helped Aunt Angela would know.

While Talia ignored or distanced herself from Javier, I realized the behaviors of the Rosario kids and that left me only terribly unsettled.

Devin had the level of accountability of a newborn and the self-control to match, that was my first thought. Then, it went a whole new place. What if her actions were done out of fear? From there it only spiraled. Did Devin know that Taylor had killed Silas?

"I don't know if I'd ever be able to be with someone that hurt one of you, or even their family," my littler sister, Paige said softly to Talia. Driving now, Javier no longer on our bus, deciding that he would ride with our aunt Courtney and her two children, I glance quickly behind my shoulder.

I remain silent, but Thaddeus next to me only hisses under his breath, turning around to face my sisters behind us.

"Paige why don't you keep your opinion to yourself?"

I half expect my sister to cower, then nod and leave the subject alone. No not true. I expect it completely. Especially with the harsh and biting tone Thaddeus used.

Wrong assumption.

"No," she snaps back, "you all agree with me, I'm just the only one that's said it. Why do you think Javier isn't on this bus? Because it was so frosty in here I'm surprised he didn't get frostbite from the cold shoulders at breakfast."

"I can say what I did because I'm the one that went to get him for breakfast. I don't hold him responsible. If anything, I'm more afraid of Devin," Thaddeus spits back.

My shoulders get heavy.

"How can we even trust any of them?" Paige asks her voice shaking, showing her true turmoil. "Taylor... don't you guys remember how hard she took it? I mean I was little and I thought that she had a crush on him," I frown though I don't take my eyes off the road ahead of me.