Chapter 31 - Finding My Place (Faith POV)Pt.1

Chapter 31 - Finding Pieces (Faith POV) Pt.1

Detention wasn't something I thought of or had ever considered something I would be serving. When I was on the mountain, in the safe house, I answered to myself. There were no repercussions if I slacked on some homework, or didn't read enough, or watched a movie in bed instead of reading from the textbook. I was my own regulator.

However now that I was living in this world, where at seventeen, I wasn't considered an adult especially when I grew up the way I had, adults were making decisions for me left and right. It wasn't as bad as many would expect though, the adults around me here, in a confusing world seemed to help me navigate better I believed. There was so much I didn't know that when they told me something even though I was lacking complete trust and faith in their words, taking everything with a grain of salt it still felt easier.

So for running off and skipping school, instead of being expelled, I was getting detention. So after my last class, instead of heading to Samson's car, I went to the office for the lady behind the counter to give me a slip, that I'd have to let the teacher sign, and return after I had served each detention.

So looking at the slip, Mr. Romas - Volunteer Tutor - basement room 24.

The woman behind the desk laughed, "You'll probably be the only student - and between you and me, Mr. Romas will let you leave a bit early," she had said kindly. So with a sigh, I went down the stairs, unable to hear a single sound, counting the numbers on the doors, until the one I wanted was right in front of me, my books ready so I could just study and complete homework for the hour and half. Opening the door, the room slightly darker than I was expecting, it takes my eyes a beat or two to adjust; however when I do, I see two people clearly in a intimate embrace.

Jumping back away from one another, their eyes wide and in shock, the man takes a step back from the girl, clearing his throat, his Adam's apple bobbing. The girl, her face, seemed to be turning a bright red, she turned away from me, a whimper escaping her before the man came forth, "Hello, I'm Mr. Romas but everyone calls me Luca - I only volunteer tutor here," I nodded.

"I'm supposed to spend my detention with you," I replied, while looking at him, my eyes danced to the girl behind him. She looked worried, frightened which instantly put me on guard. "Well then-" he smiled but it was fake, "you're in the right place... none of the other teachers actually want to hold detention so I'm usually the one that gets it," he explained although I didn't ask.

"You can take a seat..." his arms waved around at all the empty tables, "well anywhere as you can see it's only you and Imogen here," my eyes darted to the girl that was now wiping at her lips. Still in my same spot, I inspected his face, noting the smudge lip-gloss on his lips, that looked to be the same one the girl - Imogen was fixing.

Finding the table nearest to the door, I set my bag down, while Mr. Romas - Luca - turned the lights above all the way on. "I'll be right back," he said striding out of the room, leaving Imogen and I alone.

Pulling out my books needed, I started on my work, ignoring the movement from Imogen, but my mind wondering if she was in trouble... had I just interrupted this Mr. Romas from hurting her? Pulling a chair out she sat down right in front of me, the chair scraping against the ground, "Are you okay?" I finally asked when she reached for a pen but her hands were shaking, barely able to hold it.

Although it was when I looked up into her eyes that I saw the fear, "Was - was he going to hurt you?" I asked in a low whisper, not getting the response I thought I'd get, Imogen shook her head from side to side furiously.