Chapter 24: Save Me

Lacey's POV

Chapter 24:Save Me

My side burns like a blazing fire, pain shoots through my whole body. As if by instinct, I grab the wolf, panic takes over and I manage to snap its neck. It lays cold and limp, I throw it to the ground. I stay on the ground, proccessing things. I just got bitten by a werewolf...

But there's really no use in staying here, I need to get home. I run all the way back, straight to my room. I collapse on the bed. It's just a nip, right? No harm. But it doesn't feel that way. The searing pain in my lower thigh says otherwise.

Werewolf bites are fatal.

I'm going to die. I can't tell Damon, I don't need to give him more to worry about. WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO?! I sip blood from a bag and instantly feel just a little bit better. Maybe I really will be fine. I have to be fine. I strip off my clothes, changing into an oversized t-shirt. I slip into bed. It's crazy how tired I am suddenly. I just want to be anywhere but here.

Stefan's POV

I peer into Lacey's room. I haven't seen her in what feels like forever. Not since the night she died. I sit on the bed next to her. It reminds me of the night we had saved her. It seems like so very long ago. The terror in her eyes at first, then there was anger, and finally hopefulness. I promised her that Damon and I will always keep her safe. Looks like only one of us kept our promise.

I gently brush my hand against her cheek. Lacey's eyes slowly open, focusing on the scene surrounding us, then on me. "Stefan?" She whispers. "Is that really you?" I smile. "Hey Lace." She grins. "I've missed you so much. Where did you go?" I chuckle. "Getting sober - as Caroline would call it. Off the human stuff, you know? I thought it would be best if I went away for a while to cool off. I missed you too." She slowly sits up, rubbing the sleepiness from her eyes. She swings her legs over the side of the bed so she's directly beside me.

A strange expression flashes across her face. Pain maybe. It looks almost like a wince. Then she looks at me, like she always has.

"Lacey, are you okay?" She smiles. "Duh. Why wouldn't I be?" I shrug. I must be imagining things. "How's vampirism been treating you?"

"I could ask you the same question." She counters. I laugh.

"It's been okay, actually. You have to take the good with the bad, right?" 

"Yeah." I chuckle. "Nothing's actually changed all that much." She says, standing up. 

But something stops her from standing. She trips, out of nowhere. It's almost like she can't hold herself up.

"You're all caught up!" She exclaims, quickly covering up the fact that there's something obviously wrong. "Lacey, you are not okay." I say, firmly. "Show me." I command. "Stefan, it's more complicated than that... "

"Show me, Lacey." She stands up, holding onto the bed's headboard. She pulls up her shirt a little bit, revealing a red, irritated wound on her upper thigh with blisters to match. "Lacey!"

"Please, please don't tell Damon. I know I screwed up. He's got enough to worry about. Please, Stefan? For me?"

"I won't tell Damon." I say darkly. "Thank you." She says, sighing in relief.

"Because you will." Her face falls. "Are you really gonna keep the fact that you were bitten by a werewolf from him? Are you crazy?" She sighs. "I don't know. I just don't want to upset him."

"The thing that would upset Damon more is you dying because you didn't wanna tell him."

Damon's POV

I ran my fingers through my hair, sighing. I was somewhat disappointed Lacey told Stefan this before me. "A werewolf bite? Really?"

"I'm sorry! It was stupid, and rash to go out and I shouldn't have been gone for so long without telling you and I hate that I act on impulse like it's all going to be fine but this time it's not and now I don't know what to do and all I can think to say is that I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'll never sneak out or do anything stupid, or, or..." I cut her off.

"I'm not mad at you."

"You're not?"

"No, I'm pissed because this happened hours ago, and Stefan had to push you into telling me." She nods, her head hanging in embarrassment. "Now,"

"What the hell are we gonna do about it?"

Klaus's POV

After ringing the doorbell, I stand waiting as Stefan came to answer the door. "Damon called. It's seems Lacey is in great distress." I say, ignoring Stefan's cold gaze. "I am here to help, Stefan. My blood will heal her. Please." Stefan only laughs. "I know how this game works. You want something in return." I shake my head. "No. Just let me in." His jaw clenches, but he gestured me inside. I walk into a room where Lacey lay on the bed. Sweat covers her forehead.

Her room smells like her. Flowers and fresh apples. Her eyes opens, revealing warm brown ones. "Klaus." She whispers. Her voice is shaky and quiet. I pull off the blanket, she turns over and I peel away her shirt to reveal a red wound that's swollen and red. "Oh, that looks bad." I whisper. Her gentle eyes didn't stray from mine. "My apologies." 

"For what? You didn't bite me."

"No. But you're still dying." She nods. "Let me save you."

"I didn't have a choice the first time. Why would you let me choose now?" She asks, her voice hoarse. "If you want to die so badly, I won't stop you. I'll hold you in my arms until you fade away, Lacey Marie. But I don't want that for you."

"Save me." She whispers. 

I smile. I pull her into my arms, biting my wrist to allow her to feed.

"There you go, sweetheart. Have at it." Lacey gently bites in, and indulges in the warm liquid.

Lacey's POV

I can feel the sun shining directly in my face. I slowly stretch, my eyes opening. I stretch out my legs and realize the wound is gone. The pain is gone. I notice there's a box beside my bed. It has a white ribbon and a a note that reads: From Klaus

I untie the ribbon, and open the box. Inside is a thin, but beautiful bracelet. On a siver chain is an infinity symbol and a single pearl. It's beautiful. In this moment that I realize how many people have made it possible just for me to breathe today.

Song is fall for you by Secondhand Serenade! 

Awesome people:

burgundy104

josie151

EmilySkaggs

Katie5454

brunesuhh

Sarah_Hib

and KaciDanielle HAVE I MENTIONED YOU'RE AMAZING?!

Molliexx