Chapter 10: Dog Food

Alaric's POV

Chapter 9: Dog Food

Though The Grill's bar is practically my second home these days, I never thought I'd be here with Lacey, Stefan and Damon's 'almost' little sister. She'd somehow convinced me to help her find Klaus and Stefan, pressing that it was important. Now I'm supposedly waiting for her to show up with a new location.

"Get anything?" I ask as Lacey approaches me on the stool to my left. She grins. "How to you feel about a hike through the smoky mountains?" I raise my eyebrows. "You want hunt a pack of werewolves on a full moon? Are you insane or suicidal?"

She crosses her arms in defiance. For someone Elena's age I never thought anyone could be this persistant. "We'll be out of there before the moon is full." She promises. I sigh, scratching my head nervously. "If you don't come with me, I'm going by myself." She says, beginning to stand up and walk away. "Wait!"

She flips back around, a grin on her face.

"Great! You're driving."

Lacey's POV

We  trudge through the smoky mountains, Alaric taking the lead, with map in hand. "In a couple hours, the full moon's going to rise just above that ridge." He says, pointing off in the distance. "When the time is right, it will be perfectly in view."

"Were you a boy scout?" I joke, trying to lighten the mood. "Maybe."

I laugh, gulping down a sip of water from my canteen. "A Boy Scout slash vampire slayer?"

"Slash whiskey-drinking, lost cause." I smile lightly, and we stop, Ric dropping his backpack on the ground.

There were stakes in all the side pockets. "Wow, you came stocked." I observe. He takes out his water bottle. "We're not exactly bird watching."

"Here. Put that in your bag." He says, handing me a small object filled with yellow liquid. "Vervain grenade?"

"Wolfsbane." I nod. Wolfsbane is an herb that can weaken a werewolf, like vervain for a vampire. I shove it in my bag, pulling out a ring I stole from Elena.

"You remind me of Damon. You even sound like him, you know." I laugh. "I'm not sure if that's a compliment of an insult."

"Probably both." Alaric chuckles.

"I've been living with him for the past three months. I probably picked up on a few things." I say with a smirk.

I turn away from him to glance at the nearby body of water. I'm lost in thought.

"How much - " I'm cut off when something pushes me. Hard. I scream as I fly through the air then crash land into the freezing lake water.

I immediately react, pushing myself up through the water back to surface. I gasp and sputter, still confused about what happened. Then I notice Damon leaning against a tree, he does not look happy. "Damon!" I scream. "How are you even here?!" He glances at Ric. "Thanks for the tip, man." Ric sighes. "You sold me out." I say accusingly, shocked at Alaric.

"You think I'd take you into a mountain range with werewolves on a full moon without backup?" Damon just smirks victoriously. "Get out of the water, Lacey."

"If I get out of the water, you're going to make me go home." I say defiantly. I'm not getting out of the water even if I freeze to death. No way I just came all this way for nothing. "Yeah, I am. Stop being an idiot and get out of the water." I glare at him. "Right now, you're both acting like idiots." Alaric states, practically daring us to challenge him.

Damon's POV

"Face reality, Lacey, we're going home even if I have to drag you by your hair the whole way. Get out of the water." She crosses her arms like a five-year-old not getting her way.

"What's your big plan, Lacey? Huh? You're gonna walk through a campsite of werewolves with a marshmallow and wait for Klaus to stop by and then you'll confess your undying love for him?!" I ask, stepping into the lake after her.

"My plan is to find him and help him! Damon, this is the closest we've been to him since he left! I'm not going home!"

"It's a full moon. The wolves aren't going to be in a good mood tonight, so get a grip on yourself, and let's go. This  is'nt safe."

"I'm not leaving before we find him!"