Chapter 30: Bloody Hell

Elijah's POV

Chapter 30: Bloody Hell

When Klaus lets it slip that Lacey is no longer in Mystic Falls, I of course know I have to find out for myself what she's gotten herself into. I know Niklaus will only get into more trouble himself in his reckless effort to find her, I take matters into my own hands.

Traveling to the magnificent Crescent City, I find myself in a bar. The bartender lays a vodka in front of me. She is quite striking, actually. Blonde hair and olive-green eyes. But I need her. I need to know what she knows. I have to find Lacey.

"So, what brings you to The Big Easy?" She asks.

"I used to live here." I reply curtly. "Really? When?" She pries. "It feels like a hundred years ago." I chuckle, smirking at the irony.

"I just moved here myself. What brought you back?" She asks, her smile growing warmer. "My brother, he's here. I'm afraid he's gotten himself in quite a bind."

"You say that like it's a common occurrence."

 "Well, he's complicated. Defiant, ill-mannered, and a little temper-mental." I say, sipping my drink. I knew this was a very large understatement. "You see, his girl has gone missing. He cares very much for her and I'm afraid without her he will go straight off the deep end. I was hoping I could find her before my brother gains more enemies than either of us need."

"The power of love." She says withe a dreamy haze in her eyes. "You share it, you and your brother. For the girl. Don't you?" I ignore her, and continue on with my interrogation. "I'm looking for someone who might shed some light on my current predicament. Jane-Anne Deveraux? Do you happen to know where I might find her?" I ask.

"No. But I know someone who might."

+ + + + +

"Are you going to continue following me, Elijah or do you want to talk?" Demands the witch, Krista, who the bartender previously directed me to. "You know who I am." I observe, surprised but I hide it well. "An original vampire who always wears a suit? You and your family are famous amongst the witches. Especially with your brother back in town." She answers in dark tone. "My brother and I are here for the same reason. We need to speak to someone by the name of Jane-Anne Deveraux."

"Well if your brother needs Jane-Anne he's a little late." I give her a questioning gaze awaiting explanation. "Are you telling me she's dead?" She just sighs. "Come on. Her sister Sophie is going to want to talk to you." Krista leads me to the scene of a girl with blood around her neck, lying almost peacefully on the side of a street. Witches holding candlesticks are huddled around her.

"That's Jane-Anne?" I ask, glancing back at Krista who nods with a sad look in her eyes. "Killed in public for everyone to find." I observe solemnly. "The only people who come around here are the witches. And now her sister has come to take her body. Her spirit can't rest until it's been properly entered in the cemetary." She explains. "Please tell me my brother had nothing to do with this."

"No. Jane-Anne died because she got caught doing magic."

"What do you mean, caught doing magic?" 

Before I can get an explanation, I hear the sound of someone whistling in the distance. All heads turn.

"You wanna know who killed Jane-Anne?" The witch asks.

You're about to get your first glimpse of Marcel in action." She said, her eyes begin to well up. "The vampire Marcel?" I question. She nods. "Things have changed since your family left town. Marcel has changed." Vampires emerge from behind every corner, forming a group. "I'm asking you, stay hidden!" Krista urgea. "If Marcel learns that a witch lured the originals back into town, my people will be slaughtered."

I quickly hide up on a roof, to observe the scene without being spotted. "Well, well, well. What have we here?" Says a man, Marcel, his men behind him. "I've gotta say, Soph, this street corner has not proven to be the luckiest place for your family tonight." Vampires bare their fangs to her for emphasis. "Not even half an hour ago, she was taught a lesson."