Chapter Twenty Six

I placed my hand on the cold steel door handle and slowly pushed it down. It opened a little faster than I expected, giving me no choice back to walk through into the boardroom.

I looked up and saw four people sitting, including DJ. He stood up and walked over to me.

“Sarah, please. Come in” He enthused, outstretching his hand. I placed my hand in his and shook it, a nervous smiled printed firmly on my face. I walked deeper in to the board room until I reached the table where the other three people sat. Dj walked back to his own seat and sat down, motioning for me to do the same.

“So, Sarah these are my colleagues. Darren, Joseph and Carly” DJ exclaimed, pointing to the other three people.

I waved like a complete dork, rather than speaking, because I was worried that if I managed to say anything it might be followed by a stream of vomit. Looking around the room I knew I should relax though. It wasn’t what I assumed would be a typical looking boardroom. The walls were emblazoned with graffiti, not the kinds that were just aimless scribble, but the real true street art.

DJ wore the same kind of thing I’d seen him in on Skype the previous night, except today he word a trendy looking black suit jacket. Darren who probably had the best smoothest olive complexion I’d seen on anyone ever. He, like Joseph wore jeans and a t-shirt, while Carly was dressed slightly more corporate, but still nothing like how everyone at booked up had dressed.

“Sarah, Dj tells us you’re with Nick Jackson” Carly said with a smile, she opened a file in front of her.

My stomach dropped, what did she mean by “with” him, how much did DJ know about me and Nick? I sat there, doe eyed for a few seconds.

“She was originally a filer Carly, Nick only put her on the books yesterday” Dj explained, pointing halfway down the page of the file Carly was reading.

Carly nodded and I gulped back the ball of fear in my throat. She’d meant how long had I been with Nick as my agent.

“Dj’s said that he’s heard you sing Creep. We trust Dj’s judgement when it comes to yes or no answers on signing talent. However, Dj has suggested putting a whole lot extra into your development and we want to make sure that as a label, we get a return on our investment. We have a free studio downstairs, booked for an hour. If you’re ready we’d like to take all this paper work and our meeting down there. Lay down a track and go from there alright?” Carly explained, as calmly as she could. I nodded dumbly in response.

Like they were going to sign me, I was acting like a mute. How the hell would they market a mute singer?

The five of us left the boardroom a few minutes later after everyone gathered up their things. I tried not to focus on the fact that soon I would open my soul in front of four virtual strangers, but the only other thought occupying the space in my mind was the same one I’d not managed to get rid of since the previous night.

Being with Nick had always felt right, even when it seemed so wrong.

Being without him seemed wrong, even though until almost two weeks ago it was all I’d ever known. Two weeks ago I had no idea where my life was heading.

Then suddenly, at the speed of light I was in a recording studio, broken hearted, but ready to start my life.