Chapter Nineteen

I glanced over at the clock on the wall in the kitchen. It was almost 8pm.

Why was she here now? What the heck would she make of me being here? This was bad, but I had no time to think because Nick was already over at the door opening it.

“Nick, look we need to talk about something” Amelia exclaimed walking in to the apartment, her heels clinked against the wooden floor melodically.

“How did you get in the building without calling me?” Nick questioned closing the door

“Someone was leaving, they let me in”

“Fine. What do you want”

Amelia looked around before she spoke again, and my heart sped up, knowing that soon enough she’d notice me there, in the kitchen by the fridge, looking like a deer in headlights.

Her eyes lay upon me, and a scowl crossed her face. She walked over to the breakfast bar and dropped her scarf and handbag down.

“What’s she doing here”

“We were talking about signing her to my books Amelia. She’s a musician.”

Amelia scoffed and turned away from me in disgust. I sighed with relief, glad that at least one of us had an idea about how to throw Amelia off the scent of the delectable sin we had been about to partake in yet again.

“Well, We need to talk in private, about our engagement”

“We’ll go outside Amelia.”

The two began walking for the door, Nick looked back at me and mouthed sorry. I just shrugged and walked over to the couch and sat down. Even though the ‘engagement’ was all pretend and completely orchestrated, the feelings I was having from being ‘the other woman’ were all real.

I didn’t like it.

I looked outside at Nick and frowned. A few minutes ago I’d been sure I could handle it. After all, I was in love with him.

But I could never fully be his, and vice versa while this damn contract was an issue.

I got up and headed for the door. I had to get out of here.

I was almost at the bus stop when my phone rang, I ignored and shoved it back in my pocket. I’d been an idiot for going to Nick’s house. I knew it wouldn’t have a happy ending.

My lips still tingled from the kiss, his touch was fresh upon my skin. I hated that we couldn’t be together, especially now he’d admitted his feelings for me went beyond a simple fling.

Part of me urged to turn back, to go back and finish ‘talking’ with Nick.

Most of me had the maturity to realise this was a very bad idea, so when my bus finally pulled in to the stop I hopped on without a second thought.

I tried to push thoughts of Nick from my mind. I tried to take in the bright night lights of LA and enjoy the ambience. I tried to separate myself from my feelings.

I was failing miserably.

My phone vibrated against my thigh, my stomach dropped realising it was nick again. Instead of ignoring it, I pulled the phone from my pocket, and sighed with relief when I realised it was a text.