Chapter Fourteen

Finally managed to update, this chapter is in need of editing (as all of them are) and I'll get there hopefully in the next few nights. I just want to get the main bones of the story out asap.

Hope you guys are still enjoying it :D

I glanced over the words, the clauses, the ins and outs. None of it explained why such a contract was necessary.

It stated however, that Nick and Amelia were to appear as though they were in a relationship for a period of five years.

“I don’t understand” I muttered

“It was a mutually beneficial arrangement” Nick explained.

I screwed my face up, thinking about Nick and Amelia was like a kick In the guts, and hearing the words ‘mutually beneficial’ just seemed so wrong.

“She had just joined my books as a Model, and I was only just starting out.”

“So you thought ‘fuck it, lets have a fake relationship for the hell of it’. Seriously Nick?”

“No… We decided publicity wise, that if we were involved, it would do good things for our careers. The only problem was, neither of us were interested in the other like that.”

“You expect me to believe that you weren’t interested in someone as gorgeous as her” I laughed,

“I’m not sure you remember the restaurant last night. The way she treated that poor woman? Yeah see I can’t be interested in women that treat others that way”

“But you can pretend to be engaged to them for how ever long, for the sake of your company.”

Nick sighed deeply, and I placed the contract back on his desk. I didn’t want to read it any more in depth, I was already annoyed.

“The five years is up in 6 months.” Nick said after a few minutes.

“Oh. So this is you telling me there is no clause to get out early?”

“I’m sorry” He replied, and he sounded genuinely apologetic.

It didn’t take away the fact he’d lied to me. even after we’d been together, he’d let me believe they were really together.

“You lied to me?” I replied, attempting to keep my voice at a level tone, but I was failing miserably.

“I thought I’d never feel anything for anyone, I thought I was meant to be devoid of feelings. What I had with Amelia was the closest to anything that resembled love. I thought that maybe I was meant to stay in this strange quasi relationship because it was the best I was going to get. But I lied to you, yes and for that I am sorry…”

“I feel so stupid” I muttered standing up

“Sarah, You don’t have to go. We can still be together, everything I said last night is the truth”

“No… I’ve heard enough.”

I walked to the office door and opened it. All the while promising myself to not let my guard down so quickly in the future. Until he spoke again, I let my guard down just by hearing the sound of his voice.

“Everything I did in the beginning was for Alex. I had to make a go of my life for her.”

I stopped, and leant my head up against the door. Of course he’d done it for her. After all he blamed himself for everything she went through.