Chapter Four

So this chapter is weaker than I would like it to be, but I am trying... and hey, thats what editing is for right?

“Mr Jackson, I have no where else to go, and my money is basically depleted. I have to stay here till next Wednesday, I’m all paid up”

Nick looked down at me, and then around my room one last time. I could tell he wasn’t planning on giving up. He crossed his arms across his chest and then looked down at me again, there was a glint in his eyes, and a smile crossed his face.

“It’s Nick, and It’s fine. You’ll stay at my place until you find something” He said finally, as if it were a perfectly acceptable arrangement.

I screwed my face up and shook my head. Was he crazy? After all that had happened today, I couldn’t think of a worse Idea.

“You’re kidding right?”

“I know it isn’t ideal Sarah, but I’m not leaving you here” Nick replied, his voice had returned to the serious ‘I’m not messing around’ tone and He eyeballed me “So pack up your things”

It was a battle of wills, we looked at each other, saying nothing. Sooner or later one of us would have to concede. But I wasn’t about to go down without a fight.

“You’d do this for all of your employees Mr Jackson? Or just the ones you act inappropriately with” I said softly, accompanying it with a sweet innocent smile. He didn’t react the way I’d expected however, instead he smiled back and then laughed softly.

“It’s Nick, and I don’t have anything else to compare it too, but yes I would do this for any of my employees should they find themselves in a position of needing help”

I frowned, annoyed that my attempt at warning him off and making him feel guilty for the suggestion was a failure. Now my plan of abandoning the job was thrown out the window. It was clear he wasn’t leaving until I’d agreed to leave this horrid place, leaving me little choice but to accept his offer. I sighed loudly, immaturely, like a stroppy school girl and stood up.

I felt stupid pulling my suitcase from the closet, it literally held everything I owned. I’d always been afraid to leave my toiletries in the small, disgusting excuse for a bathroom in case the room was broken in to, or everything turned mouldy, So I  had packed everything away every morning.

“Fine. Lets go” I groaned hauling my suitcase to the door.

Nick took my suitcase from me and carried it as we headed to the reception to hand the key in. As we passed through the courtyard, there was a beat up and broken fountain filled with slimy green water, the smell coming off of it was ghastly. I hadn't noticed it before, probably because I didn't want to see this place for what it really was. A cesspit.

We walked into the reception and the décor in the building wasn’t any better than it had been in my bedroom. It was in great need of a dust and the light fittings were all chipped and cracked. Behind the counter stood a middle aged man, George, who was around my fathers age. He’d creeped me out when I’d first checked in, talking about all the “hot young teenagers” that frequent his motel over summer because it’s cheap and they can afford more fun that way. He wore a dirty plaid shirt that was unbuttoned, with a sweaty white t-shirt underneath.

“Uh, Sarah, how can I help.” He spluttered, opening up his log book.

“I’d like to hand my key in please” I said smoothly

His eyes narrowed and his lips curled slightly, he looked to the left of me where Nick stood and gazed at him up and down.

“You’re that bozo that was on the news last night. The one that was named top young business person”  George said, his voice slightly shocked. Nick just nodded, and smiled.