Chapter Seventeen

Josh stopped by my cubicle at lunch time.

“Are you coming with us to the café?” He asked leaning up against the cubicle wall.

“Oh yeah, I suppose I should eat”

I logged out of my computer and grabbed the bag, the one with the phone in it, the phone I didn’t want.

I stood up and walked with Josh up the corridor meeting with Janie and Marc as we got there. We headed to the elevator and hit the button. I smiled, remembering how much I’d feared the things last week, a fear that was now completely and utterly gone. The doors opened finally and the four of us stepped inside.

“Hold the door!!!” Nick’s voice yelled as the door began to close.

Don’t hold the door. Please.

Josh, who was right by the door stuck his hand out, setting the sensor off. The door opened and Nick Breezed in. He looked over at me, intensely, while he thanked Josh.

I darted my eyes away, I couldn’t keep looking in to his eyes anymore, the deep blue pools of smouldering sexiness knocked the wind out of me every single time I found myself caught up in them.

I stared at the floor of the elevator as we went down, the others chatted, Nick too. I just stood silently, like I was in a bubble of silence.

The elevator stopped and the doors opened. The guys waited for Janie and I to exit before exiting themselves.

“Join us if you like” I head Josh say from behind me.

Say no…. dear god please say no.

“Actually, I will. It beats eating alone.” Nick replied with a small chuckle.

I couldn’t turn back for the office without looking like an idiot, or without confirming Janie’s suspicions that I’d fallen for Nick. So I continued walking toward the café. We all placed our orders then sat down at a free table.

“I know we shouldn’t talk work at lunch, and  I promise this only vaguely relates back to work. However I’ve been planning a respite resort excursion for 10 staff members. All expenses paid. You four are part of that 10”

The others were too busy whooping and yahooing to see the stares Nick and I were sharing with each other. I’d been in this job a week. I didn’t deserve a holiday.

“Why me? I’ve been here a week” I asked monotonously.

My tone instantly brought the jubilance of the others down, all four sets of eyes were on me.

“My entire staff will end up going on this trip Sarah, You are part of the first 10. I thought you’d want to be with your friends”

“What about you Nick? Do you go?” I demanded, not caring if I was coming across as a little strange to the others.

“I’m going on the first trip yes.”

I nodded. Nick was making this all incredibly hard on me, and I knew why. He was hoping I’d change my mind… Be his dirty little secret.

But I wouldn’t, and, if he truly loved me he wouldn’t expect me to either.

“So, when is this trip?” Janie asked with an excited smile, the boys took cue from her and chirped up again.

“In a month, so it’ll be warm, pack accordingly”