Chapter Nine

Adrina was gorgeous. She had long, flowing black locks that ended at her waist, her skin was kissed by the sun, and her body was like an hourglass, and as I've been told, her eyes were the same shade of purple, and glowed gold.

I flipped through more pages, finding nothing on her true mate, only how the King had been murdered, a silver blade through his heart, but there was a twist. In the book, they accused Adrina of stabbing her husband for locking her away from the world, and put her in jail for almost three months, until she escaped. Later she was found.. dead. It almost seemed as if no one wanted others to know about her mate, or much about her. It did, however, mention about her 'powers'. She was able to read the minds, and on the final page of the book, they ended with 'she predicted her own death, and it came true, exactly how it was inscribed in her journal'.

I sighed, closing my eyes as I tossed the book on the couch. Why was everyone pulling me into this? Mom and Dad wouldn't had hidden anything from me... right?

What if they had? my wolf questioned mentally, What if we've been living as something we're not?

I don't know... I mumbled back to her.

"Hey Aubrey" A deep voice snapped my open to find Zander, "Having fun?"

"No" I groaned, "I don't understand why you all are dragging me into this, I'm so weak and they all look strong and fearless. Are you all just doing this to mess with me?"

He smiled a bit, sitting down beside me, studying the book's cover, "No. We all just worry, what with all these hunters around lately, and rogues, so many rogues against us. Carol prayed for a miracle and all I could think was that she was crazy.. And then you came with those same eyes as the Queen had. I just thought maybe, our prayers have been answered..."

"I heard you're keeping me"

"I am, " He looked at me, laughing under his breath, "I want to help you out of your past, and hopefully find something"

I sat up, looking at his eyes, "Well, why not help yourself.. I mean, your eyes are just a weird as mine"

"I know, but we've tried everything on me. Nothing"

"Wow," was all I said, "But, I'd still be of no use to you. Look at me, I'm so... weak."

He stood up, reaching his hand down to me, "And that's where we train you, but first, I'd think you should probably see this"

He pulled me to my feet, making me follow him to his office once again. Unlike before, there was an envelope on his desk, with my name on it. He sat me down on the same couch I sat in before, while he retrieved it.

"I knew both Cassandra and Isaac, along with Jason... I was there for a conference on week...When is your birthday?"

"August twenty-third, why?"

He cleared his throat, "Well... You see, Cassandra and Isaac were only able to have three children... After Adrienne, Your mother was stabbed by a silver blade, and doctors were almost positive, she'd never have birth again, until Darcie."

"What are you saying?" I asked, my eyes were burning.

He sighed, "That week in August, when I was there, we were called out during an attack only a few miles outside of pack grounds, the hunters had killed a small band of rogues, and we killed then, but a woman was in the center, dead.. but in her arms... she was holding a baby...."

I placed my face in my hands, sobbing. All my life, I thought I was just different, but now, seventeen years later, I'm finding out the truth. He wrapped his arms around me tightly, and I looked up, "Who was she?..."

"That's another thing.." He sighed, "Maybe we should wait a while.. for you to take this much in"

"Who was she" I asked, sternly through the lump in my throat, "Please.."

He looked down at his feet, "She... Well, as soon as we took you from her arms, she... disapeared"

"Everyone in my pack knew about this?"

He nodded, "Yes, they did, but there was a law, by your parents not to tell you anything..."

My breath quivered, and he held me tighter to his chest, letting my sob into his shoulder. He was warm, and it felt good for once to be held in my tears. I enventually found myself crying to sleep, and through dim eyes, I saw him place the envelope on the table, picking me off the couch and into a different room. The bed was comfy and warm, and for once in my life, I felt like I had a home, even if there was many more secrets, I knew were to come.