JaSoN - birthday special

warning- suicide trigger, mature language (both very mild and insignificant) 

Like was most expected for Gotham, rain fell. The dreary weather seemed to never stop in this godforsaken city. Even on a most important day; the day of the birth of Jason Peter Todd. Although perhaps the climate would be appropriate given the personality of our birthday boy. But even though Jason had the exterior similar to the gloomy sky, some still believed that he deserved better. On of them was y/n l/n.

Y/n believed in Jason. Loved him, even. She knew that deep under that armour, helmet and ten feet walls was someone worth waiting for. Someone who she would be by his side always; until death keep them apart, perhaps even after that.

But making a move now would be selfish and untimely. Patience is a virtue, everyone says. But they're wrong. It's a pain in the butt.

Baby steps, y/n would tell herself. Subtle hints here and there, but nothing more.

As it was Jason's birthday, she was about to make the biggest subtle hint she has ever made.

Now it was common knowledge that Jason didn't like to celebrate birthdays. For him, watching tv alone at home was good enough, or delving himself in his anti-hero work. But not for y/n.

When the night was young, she had gone to the bakery and ordered a cake; a small one, one that could feed her and Jason that night. Cake that she knew he wouldn't like, but then again Jason didn't like y/n spending him with him but she did that anyways.

But y/n loved Jason and nothing would ever change that.

Knocking on the door one last time, y/n said, "It's me Jason. Y/n. You can open up the door."

Not missing a beat, the door swung open; a messed up Jason holding a bat securely in his hands, his knuckles white. He looked awful; with messy hair, pale complexion, and dark circles around his eyes like a panda bear.

"Oh, it is you," Jason lowered his bat and frowned, eyeing her up and down, "Oh god you're all wet, come on in."

Smiling at Jason widely, y/n wakes inside, immediately grateful for heaters. Sighing blissfully, she jumped in the sofa and made herself warm.

Jason closed his front door and set his metal bat next to the door. He walked into the hallway, probably for a blanket, when he called, "How did you know I was here?"

Y/n pursed her lips, hesitating, "It's raining. I knew you wouldn't go to the club. And you hate going out with friends. And umm.... I saw went in patrol earlier today to I figured you'd be here."

Jason came back into the living room with a face mildly annoyed and with a blanket in his hands. He handed it to her, "I keep telling you I don't want to celebrate my birthday never mind you being here. How did you even find my place?"

Snatching the blanket from his hands as she stood up, she wrapped it around her shoulders, hiding the cake behind it, "I followed you. I wanted to give you this," she reviled the cake in the clear plastic case, "Happy Birthday Jason," she smiled wide and hopeful.

It seemed Jason was at loss for words, changing his gaze from the cake to y/n. He chuckled slightly, one which wasn't expected, "And what? No present?" Though his phrase was quite rude, y/n could tell he was actually very grateful. It was his way of saying thank you.

"I thought I'd be a good enough present. You know, a friend who wants to celebrate their other friend's birthday," she offered, setting the cake on the coffee table, "Everyone else wished you a happy birthday. They would've come but—"