Sixteen - Setting The Story Straight

Chapter Sixteen

Clara's POV

Seeing and talking to Noah the previous night was horrible. I'd acted carefree and strong but inside I was crumbling into millions of pieces. I'd said and done all the right things but for some reason, I didn't feel happy about it. I just felt even more confused than before. 

I stayed in bed all of Sunday with the exception of Katie coming over to have a big conversation about Noah. She made me pancakes and it was really nice. My parents had gone out to see Bobby but I was too hung over to tag along. They were out all day too and I'd already gone to sleep before they returned home because I had an exam the next day. 

Ah, exams. That's what consumed my thoughts until Thursday. I didn't go out and I barely talked to Ryan or anyone. I just studied and sat the painful tests. My last one was on Thursday and when I finished, it was the best feeling ever. I'd finished with school. Not officially though, that was reserved for after graduation. I thought it would be sad but I actually felt content with life. Driving home, I felt really good. When I pulled into the driveway, I checked the mail. My spirits dropped instantly though. 

Inside the tin box were numerous letters from Colleges. Scholarship letters. I'd been through this once before and it was hell. It had taken me forever to open my acceptance letters. I'd gotten accepted to every College I'd applied for but now it was time for scholarship letters. Trying to pick a school from the ten I applied for opened so many different doors of opportunities. But now with scholarships thrown into the mix, my choice was practically made for me. It was obvious, whoever offered me the best deal was to be the school I would attend. And the ability to choose being taken away from me, freaked me the heck out. 

So I did what I knew. I threw the letters onto my desk and pretended they never came. Everything was so complicated now so I made a decision for something simple. Grabbing my keys and phone, I made my way to the Children's hospital where my kid brother was. He was in his last phase of recovery and soon he would be ready to come back home. The whole family was happy, especially me. I actually kind of missed him around the house no matter how annoying he could get. 

He was sitting in his bed reading a comic when I arrived. He grinned when he saw me. "Clara!"

"Hey buddy," I replied as I gave him a hug and a kiss to the forehead. "How are you, rascal?"

"Good! Today I got 10/10 on my spelling test."

I pulled up a seat. "Aw awesome Bobby! What else have you been doing this week? Sorry I haven't come in, I had exams."

"Yeah I know and that's okay. Noah came in cos he had his last one yesterday."

I had to double take. "Sorry, what?"

"Yeah. When mom and dad took me to the beach on Sunday, we saw him and I asked why he hadn't come to see me. I told him you said he was studying and he said that was right. So I made him promise he'd come visit when he finished because I wanted to show him a surfing video I found. So he came yesterday."

"Oh ... wow."

He nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah, it was really cool. He's so cool, man. He said he'd come back soon. Are you going to come back with him?"

"Um, I'm not sure buddy. I'm really busy."

He shook his head. "You've finished school though. We were gonna go to the beach and get ice-cream!" 

"I'll have to see Bobby."

"Okay then," he replied, content with that answer.

He started rambling on about surfing but all I could think about was Noah coming to visit Bobby despite what we'd been through. I wasn't sure if i made me happy or not.