Two - First Surf of Summer

Chapter Two

Bobby was disappointed when I told him I had to take him for his surf. He was even more disappointed when my mom said I would have to take him tomorrow as well. He tried to hide it but I still saw it. So my mom packed us extra cookies in hope of cheering him up and sent us on our way.

+   +   +   +

I cringed internally when we got to the beach. It was packed with people surfing and playing volleyball on the sand, tanning and eating and swimming. They were everywhere. I pushed my sunglasses up into my hair and worked on getting Bobby's surfboard off the top of my car. It took a while but we managed it in the end. Bobby put the thing under his arm while I grabbed my bag and our towels before making our way to the sand. I peered out at all the people. "Is there a more quiet place than this?" I muttered. 

My brother shrugged. "Me and Dad sometimes go to the next bay. It's just around the rocks. The waves are a bit messier but it's way less busy."

"You cool of we go there then kiddo?"

"Yeah that's fine."

I ruffled his hair. "Great, you're the best. Let's go."

We ventured beyond the big boulders and sure enough, we came to another bay. It was far less busy much to my pleasure. I laid out my towel and pulled out my book then flopped down into a comfortable position. "Of you go then kiddo, do what you gotta do." 

He looked uncertain. "I've never surfed alone before."

"Hey hey, you'll be fine, you don't really need me, do you?"

"I guess not," he replied quietly.

"Good then. There are plenty of people out in the surf anyway. Go have fun buddy and try staying close so I can see you."

He smiled. "Yeah I will then, no problem."

Bobby started to trot towards the ocean as I smiled in delight. I put my sunglasses back on and pulled out The Great Gatsby. I read a few pages before scanning the water, I instantly spotted Bobby in his bright red rash shirt not too far out from the shore, paddling in some small waves. I could easily see the grin on his face, which was cute. After watching him for a while, I went back to reading my book. I munched on an apple and delved deep into the pages. 

I was three chapters in when I hadn't realised how much time had passed since I last looked out for Bobby. I quickly glanced up to see if I could find him, the amount of surfers in the water had dropped since we got here so I thought it would be easier to spot the familiar red rash top.

I scanned the water twice but I didn't see him once. That's when a small surge of panic rushed through me. I gulped nervously and took of my glasses. Standing up, I started to walk closer to the water, keeping my eyes peeled for my kid brother. As I got nearer to the water, the more panicked I got. With each passing step, there was no sign of Bobby and more signs of my growing fear. I walked until the water was up to my knees. "Bobby!" I yelled helplessly into the waves. "Bobby where are you?"

I kept calling his name but got no answer in return. I even asked a few small kids playing in the shallows if they'd seen him. They hadn't. A bunch of surfers came out of the water and I asked them too but they claimed they hadn't seen anyone of the description I gave them.

I kept roaming the water with my eyes, calling my brother's name frantically. Sour bile had risen in my throat but I pushed it down. I started to make my way east through the water, splashing the water as I hastily treaded through the ankle-deep shallows. Every single worst-case scenario passed through my mind and before I could stop it, tears began to trickle from my eyes. "Bobby!" I screamed once again as I wiped my face with the back of my hand.