Eleven - The Amethyst Necklace

Chapter Eleven

On the Saturday of Noah’s party, during the day, I was roped into helping mom down at The Breadbox because she was short staffed. So while the sun was blazing high, I was cooped up in her little bakery on the pier. It was busy though because everyone was down at the beach, and by people being at the beach, it meant they got hungry and my mom’s bakery was popular so I had a constant stream of customers to serve the whole day.

By 4 o’clock, I was sick of the smell of bread and waiting out to leave. I was finding it hard to keep my eyes open, I didn’t get home until midnight the previous night and I had to wake up at 7 and after being on my feet all day with a constant fake smile, I was ready to drop to the ground. Thankfully, the lunch rush had completely died out and the bakery was near empty. So when my phone vibrated in my pocket, I quickly pulled it out and checked it. It was a message from Katie. ‘hey chicka! What time did you want to go tonight??’

I formed a reply to her before mom could see me texting. ‘it’s starts at 7 and I’m working ‘til 5 so maybe 8ish?’

‘wow you want 3 hours to get ready?!’ Her reply was almost instant.

lol no, I want to have a nap before we go’

‘oh of course. Well I guess we could go for the fashionably late angle. I’ll be over to pick up at 8 so be ready! See you tonight xx’

I was about to reply but in that moment, my mom walked in so I pocketed my phone and made it out to look as if I were doing something useful. She glanced around the empty bakery before turning to me and smiling. “You can go home honey; I think I have it covered here. Wouldn’t want to keep you from getting ready for tonight.”

“What’s tonight?” Juan, our Spanish baker, asked as he came walking out from the kitchen.

My mom squealed. “Clara is going to a party tonight.”

Juan’s eyes lit up as he kissed me once on each cheek. “¡ay, oh, Dios mío chica! What a miracle?”

“You’re both insane, you know that right?” I stated.

Juan and mom shared a look before bursting out into a fit of giggles. Juan picked up my limp hair in his fingers. “My daughter is very good with hair! I can call her to come over and do it for you?”

“God Juan, I’m not going to Prom. It’s just a party. And before you ask mom, no, I’m not using the next four hours to get ready. So stop before you say something embarrassing.”

She laughed. “Oh okay honey, I’m sorry. I’m just excited! My baby is growing up.”

I rolled my eyes. “Mom. I’m 18. I am grown up. You know what actually? Don’t say anything. I’m leaving. I’ll see you later.”

I was gone before either of them could say anything.

As I walked along the pier, I stopped in one of the dinky jewellery stores I’ve always wanted to have a look around in. It was one of those hippie ones, with handmade bags and beaded bracelets. As soon as I walked in, the bell sounded and I was hit by a strong smell of incense.  On arrival, a woman with dreads, no shoes on and a big load of rings and bracelets came out. She had a smile on her face that was open and warm. I couldn’t help but smile back.

“Hello my dear,” she said cheerfully.

“Hey.”

I started to look around and she asked me what I was looking for. I shrugged and told her nothing in particular. I was sifting through a table of necklaces when something caught my eye. It was a lilac stone with dark purple running through it. My hand went to my own necklace I was wearing. The one I always wore. I looked at the woman. “What does this stone mean?”