Twenty Three - Food Is Almighty

Chapter Twenty-Three

When I woke up in the morning and checked my phone, it read 10:14am and I had a text from Katie. I opened up the message and read it; she was just asking if we got home okay because she knew how nervous I was about driving Noah’s car after I told her about it last night. I quickly typed up a reply then looked over the edge of the bed where Noah was still dead asleep on the mattress. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. Typical.

After stretching out, I dragged myself out from under the covers. I tiptoed to JJ's room to see if he was awake but like Noah, he was passed out on the bed so I made my way back to Noah’s room. I sat in Noah's bed and tried to play Candy Crush on my phone but after I ran out of lives, I started getting restless. I wished Noah had any kind of novel in his room but I wasn’t surprised when he didn't. I was intensely bored, with nothing to do while the two boys slept easily. I twiddled my thumbs for a bit then gave up on waiting around. I jumped out of bed and made a decision to cook them breakfast. I mean, they did it for me when I was hung-over last time so it was my turn to do it back. 

I didn't want to go downstairs in my skimpy tank because it showed off the little cleavage that I did have and it made me feel exposed, so spotting one of Noah's hoodies on the floor, I picked it up and put it on. It was a Huffer hoodie and it fell mid-thigh as well as having too-long sleeves. It looked kind of ridiculous but it was warm and it smelled deliciously of Noah so I kept it on.

When I went into the kitchen, I felt bad for raiding their fridge for a whole two seconds but then I got over it and started cooking. It took forever to figure out where everything was in their kitchen, it was so large and there were so many draws and cupboards that I got lost trying to find something as simple as a knife. I had fun cooking though because just like my mom, Julia worked in the food industry so their fridge was fully stocked. 

I'd just finished the bacon and breakfast sausages and had moved on to the eggs when both the boys surfaced. I didn't even have to turn around to know they were there, they ran down the staircase like a herd of elephants. 

"Morning," I said without turning around. "Breakfast will be ready soon."

"Mmmm you're a champ," JJ replied through a yawn from behind me.

"I woke up and you weren't in bed and I thought you had gone home," Noah commented from behind me.

I shook my head and turned around shortly. "I woke up over an hour ago and got bored so I thought I'd make breakfast. Can you get some plates out please? The eggs are almost done."

"Hey is that my jumper?" He asked, seemingly surprised.

I blushed, and turned my focus back to the eggs. "My pyjamas are a bit on the skimpy side so I wanted to cover up. Your hoodie was the closest thing to me. Hope you don't mind."

He shook his head. "No, it looks good on you."

I blushed again and didn't reply, just fiddled with the element for something to do. 

When Noah had set our plates in front of him and JJ on the breakfast bar, I started to dish out the eggs before giving them bacon, sausages and numerous pieces of toast. I gave myself a small portion as well and put the ketchup on the table. "Eat up!"

"Thanks Clara," Noah said hurriedly as he dug straight into his food, practically inhaling the bacon. JJ did the same too.

I stood opposite them and nibbled at my food. I only had a small amount because I was munching away at the bacon while I was cooking, I just really couldn't wait.  As we ate, we talked about the previous night and I informed Noah his car wasn't damaged to which he let out a relieved sigh.