Three - Getting Pizza

Chapter Three

I took little Bobby to the same place as yesterday and sure enough Noah and a blonde girl with similar features were waiting for us. I decided yesterday that I would just act normally around Noah. If he wanted to make me his next conquest then he could, it’s not as if I would go along with it. I mean, Noah and me were practically polar opposites. Sure, it was a recipe to a cliché love story but just not mine.

I tugged down my sundress self-consciously as we neared Noah. It was an old sundress, something I’d gotten back in sophomore and now I was regretting wearing it. I mean, the prettiest girls in school constantly surrounded Noah. How would he cope standing next to someone so average like me?

I took a deep, steadying breath and when Noah saw us approaching, he jumped up and grinned. “Hey guys!”

Bobby smiled back instantly. “Hey Noah!”

They high-fived and Noah gestured to the girl sitting on the towel. “This is my kid sis Ara, she’s a Junior. Ara, this is Clara and her little brother Bobby.”

“Hi,” I said as I waved awkwardly. She was just as good looking as her brother. With beautiful long blonde hair and a perfect face, she was every bit gorgeous. Good looks must’ve run in the family.  

She said hi back to me and she had this look on her face, as if she knew exactly what Noah was doing. It was almost sympathetic, maybe even pitying. I guess she’d seen him at his best a lot of times. Noah nudged me softly, snapping me out of my reverie. “Hey spaz, we’re going out into the water so you can just wait here or whatever.”

“Okay cool.” I turned to Bobby. “Have fun kiddo and be safe.”

He nodded to me then was gone in an instant, Ara trotting alongside him. I took a shaky breath, remembering yesterday’s events. I wasn’t entirely sure if I wanted him back out there again. The waves looked just as messy and just as dangerous.

Noah must’ve noticed my scared look because he nudged me again. “Don’t worry Clara, I’ll look after him.”

He was about to turn around but I stopped him. “Hey Noah?”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks.”

“For what?”

“For offering to take Bobby out for a surf. We barely know each other so it was a nice thing to do.”

He shrugged. “No problem. Despite what people say, my mum did raise me right.”

I laughed. “I’m sure she did. Have fun out there and don’t kill my brother.”

“Will do,” he said, giving me a salute and taking off after the others.

+   +   +   +

They surfed for a good two hours and in that time, I got through a shitload of The Great Gatsby, and it was brilliant. Mom also rang to tell us to get dinner out which made me even happier because it meant we could get pizza instead of having mom’s healthy cooking.

They all came trailing through the sand and much to my delight; Bobby was still in one piece. He had a huge grin on his face and was bubbling on about all the waves he caught. For once, I didn’t care how annoying he sounded because he was happy and that was enough for me. I passed him his towel and he dried off whilst I told him the dinner situation.

Before I even knew what he was doing, he looked up at Noah in joy. “Do you want to come with us Noah?!”

My eyes went wide. “Bobby! You can’t just invite people along like that.” I cleared my throat and looked at Noah. “Sorry, you don’t have to come along if you don’t want to. I mean, if you do, you can but I just assume you’ll have better plans and-“