Ten - College Letters

Chapter Ten

It was hard to get back into the swing of things at school the next day. Everyone was stressing over our final exams that we were due to do in two weeks. A few of my teachers looked down on me for the time I had off but most of them were understanding. I didn't bother taking my breaks, instead using the free time to work on the stuff I'd missed. by the time the final bell went, my brain was shattered, tired from the overload of information. But grabbing my stuff, I started my walk home. 

I was barely out of the front gates when a familiar car pulled up next to me. Knowing who it was, I tried to keep the small smile from creeping onto my face. I cleared my throat as Noah rolled down his window. "What do I owe this pleasure?"

"Want a ride to the hospital?" he asked with a grin.

"It's fine. Dad's gonna pick me up from home."

"Cool. Hop in," he replied, ignoring my previous comment. 

I was about to object but he gave me a look as if to say it would be utterly useless to do so. Rolling my eyes, I opened the passenger door to his Range Rover and hopped in. He beamed at me and pulled away from the kurb. 

"You know, you should really start getting used to me saying no to you. You can't just keep ignoring my answers because it suits you."

He laughed once. "Technically each time I've ignored your answers, it's benefited you so really, you shouldn't be complaining."

"I like the idea of being independent thanks."

"Okay, I'll keep that in mind," he replied carelessly.

Instead of driving straight to the hospital, he stopped at the Mc Donalds Drive Thru first. I gave him a look and he just shrugged. "I'm hungry. You want anything?"

"No thanks," I replied even though I hadn't eaten anything since lunch.

"Lies. I'll order you something." We pulled up to the window and sure enough he ordered his own food then started ordering some for me.

He was talking about something with chicken when I shook my head and interrupted him. "No no, I want something with beef."

He grinned and began to re-order my food. When we drove to the next window to pay, he glanced at me. "Wouldn't have picked you for a beef girl."

"The chicken they use is hardly real so it kinda grosses me out." 

"Fair enough. But again, me ignoring you has come away benefiting you. You don't have to keep saying no to me Clara."

I shrugged. "It's just another thing on my list I now owe you for."

He waved me away. "Oh shut up Clara, this is what friends do for each other."

"That's right, we're friends now," I said, almost to myself rather than him. "Who woulda guessed, huh?"

"Not me. To be honest, I had no idea who you were when I first met you on the beach that time. All I saw was a blubbering girl looking for her brother."

"Wow. That gives me confidence. I probably looked like such an idiot."

We received the food and he passed it over to me with a shake of his head. "No, all I could think to myself was that I wanted to help you. I may have snapped at you but that was kind of reflex. In that moment you reminded me of my sister."

I scoffed. "Wow. Now you think of me like a kid sister. Even better."

"Not like that," he rolled his eyes. "It's hard to explain. You're really independent but I feel the need to do things for you like I do with my sister. It's weird. With all that shit with Bobby, I just wanted to be there for you and I don't even know why. I'm not usually like that with chicks."