{{ 31 }}

"Forever yours, Cedric"

I signed the card and folded it. It was cheesy, I know, but the meaning is true. I was going to make her birthday special with cheesy gifts and soppy words, and no one was going to stop me. 

The next would be probably the most important day of my life. The second task in the Triwizard Tournament, and also the birthday of my Meghan. I couldn't decide which I was more nervous about. 

I knew exactly what I needed to do for the second task, but why was it making me feel so apprehensive? What were they going to take from me? It had to be something important. I tried to think of what was the most important thing to me at that time. The answer was simple, and came to my mind immediately; Meghan.

I laughed as I put the card on top of her present. They wouldn't dare take Meghan and put her in the lake. It was almost comical. I had to keep my focus and my head straight. Whatever was waiting for me in the lake was nothing comical. This was a serious tournament. 

It was getting late but I wanted to spend the evening with her before I had to rest up for the task. I hid her present in my trunk and walked down into the common room. She wasn't there, but it did not surprise me. Smiling and nodding at the many shouts of "good luck" to me, I slipped of the room before anyone could stop me.

"Oh! Hey Cedric!" came an enthusiastic voice up the corridor. I groaned to myself and forced a patient smile on my face. It was never fun to meet Cho Chang in the corridor...alone. 

"Hi," I replied casually, hoping to walk past her without further conversation. That's not how Cho Chang works, and soon I was walking down the corridor with her while she blabbed her mouth.

"Yeah- Mhm- Hey-" I tried to intervene, but she wouldn't shut up. I stopped walking altogether, and like an invisible string, it shut her mouth. "Listen, have you seen Meghan? I need to talk to her-"

"Nope, not at all today," said Cho, remarkably quickly. I eyed her, skeptical. It wasn't normal for someone to answer questions so quickly.

"Okay, well I'm going to go look for her, so bye," I said, not caring if I sounded bored or uninterested, for the fact of the matter was, I was bored and uninterested. 

"Just wait," said Cho, as I walked quickly up ahead of her. I paused my walking to hear what she was saying. "-you'll come crawling back to me. You and Grant won't last."

I clenched my fist, ready to introduce it to her face if necessary. I walked confidently towards her.

"No one asked your opinion, Chang," I spat. It felt so damn good to stand up to her. I smirked down at her, feeling almost pity on her. How could someone fall for such a whiny and meddlesome jerk? I sure couldn't, despite what it might have seemed. A rush of nerve flooded through me, and I lifted up my hand slowly, and I slapped that bitch hard.

I heard a shout from behind me. A shout of joy, and I knew instantly who it was. I turned around and saw Meghan dancing like a maniac and singing a song. I couldn't make out the words, but I knew they were happy, and I grinned at her. Cho scoffed off like a toddler, and Meghan ran towards me, shouting loud enough to wake the whole castle, and jumped into my arms.