{{ 19 }}

Who's ready for detention? xD

*****************

Meghan's POV

I walked down the stairs with Payton. I had been crying in my room for a few hours, but it was time to go to detention. Payton had, as she predicted, gotten detention for punching Cho Chang and calling her a few words I hadn't even heard before then.

I braced myself for the hours I would spend with Cedric and Payton. I was lucky to have Payton with me. Looking around the common room, there was no sign of him; he probably left already.

We said good-bye to Maci and headed for Snape's classroom.

"We need a secret code," I whispered seriously to Payton.

"Umm okay," she said, sounding confused. "What for?"

"For if I start acting like a drunken hippogriff in front of Cedric," I muttered.

Payton bit her lip to hide her laughter.

"Alright," she said, grinning. "What's the code?"

"Er," I stopped and scrunched my face up in thought. "How about you pretend to sneeze?"

"Okay," she agreed, "let's hope you don't mess up a whole lot...Snape might think I have some strange disorder or something."

I laughed and we resumed our walking.

"I wonder what Mr. Grease is going to make us do tonight?" wondered Payton aloud as the door to his classroom came into view.

"Maybe he'll make us wash his hair," I snorted. "It'd be a pretty gruesome task."

Payton laughed in agreement and knocked on the door. I was prepared for Professor Snape to open up the door, but was quite startled when I came face to face with the last person I wanted to see; Cedric.

Of course I knew he was in detention, but I was not emotionally prepared to come face to face with him right there. I muttered something like 'I don't want to see your face, Diggory' under my breath and gave him a scowl before pushing past him.

It hurt me to see his face; so innocent and sad. It dawned on me that I actually hurt him as much as he hurt me. It made me wonder if I had overreacted, and if we should still have been together. Payton's words flooded my head like a siren; 'If you love something, Set it free... If it comes back, it's yours, If it doesn't, it never was yours....'

It was my time to set Cedric free. I had confidence that he would return...

But what if he heard that saying too? What if he was waiting for me to return, and I was waiting for him to return? How does that work? We can't both come back...

I guess Payton didn't see that one coming.

"Miss Grant," greeted Snape coldly. "Miss O'Hara."

"Professor Sour Grapes," muttered Payton under her breath, hiding her words by scratching her upper lip. I bit my tongue so as not to laugh.

Snape eyed us boredly before continuing.