Chapter Three...

Chapter Three

I was sitting in the cafeteria with Lain, on Monday afternoon, when Brittany, The girl who shoved me the other week, strutted over to our table, glaring at me the whole time.

"Hey slut!"

"Sup Whore?" I replied, not even sparing her a glance as I nibbled at an apple from my lunch tray.

I looked up as I heard her gasp at my previous comment.

She was glaring at me, but honestly, when wasn't she.

"I hope you know I could get you kicked out of this school faster than you could say Brittany is pretty!"

"Well that would give you a lot of time then, wouldn't it? Because I will never say that horrid sentence." I fake shuddered at the thought.

I smirked at her as her grin slipped off her face.

"Just watch out!"

I stood up and took a step towards her.

"Britt. How long will it take you to get it through your fat, makeup covered, bleached blonde head? I am not fucking afraid of you!" I spaced my words out for effect.

She just glared at me, before turning and stalking out of the cafeteria.

School flew by fast after the incident at lunch time.
"Hey mum," I greeted her, as I walked through the front door.
"Hey darl, I'm making dinner now because I won't be home later, so all you have to do is heat it up and serve some up for Jake."

I sent her a grateful smile, another thing I don't have to worry about later.

I stumbled up the staircase, walked into my room and crawled under the covers of my bed.

Slowly I drifted off to sleep.

I woke up to a sharp jab to my cheekbone.

What the fuck is that?

I peeled my eyes open to see my five year old brother sitting on my bed beside my head.

His final jab landed right in my eyeball, which resulted in me yelping in pain as he laughed before he dived off my bed and ran out of the room.

I dragged myself out of bed and shuffled down the corridor towards the staircase, reaching the bottom step, I walked to the kitchen where there was a note from mum, saying she won't be back till late.

Damn!

I opened the fridge, grabbing the now cold dinner and stuffing it into the microwave; I turned the dial to thirty seconds. "Leeeeeex.... I'm hungry!" Jake moaned as he walked into the kitchen and climbed onto one of the bar stools on the other side of the bench. "Twenty more seconds and dinner will be ready." I told him.

"20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.... BLAST OFF!" Jake screeched.

I only just managed to cover my ears in time, it was loud enough to hurt my ears even with my hands muffling it slightly. "Leeex, my ears are ringing..." He pouted at me, making his eyes wide and innocent. "Oh that's too bad bud." I laughed at him.

His bottom lip trembled....

Oh Shit, He's gonna cry.

Oh Crap!

Oh No!

"Leeeeeeeeex...My Ears hurt!" He burst into tears.

Now here's the thing...

When Jake first starts crying he's all cute with big eyes and a wobbly bottom lip.

But then he starts screeching, with tears streaming, snot bubbling out of his nose and saliva flying everywhere. Moral of the story, If you can prevent him from crying, you make sure you stop him before it starts.

"Jake, I have a lollipop! You can have it if you stop crying..."
"B-but I-I-ic-ant J-jjust sto-p cr-ying..." He blubbered. "Okay if you calm down, clean yourself up and eat your dinner, you can have ice cream and a lollipop." I compromised.
"Kaay," And that was all it took.

I placed his food in front of him, served up some more for me and sat beside him on another bar stool. As I was eating I glanced up and looked out the big window above the sink. I could swear I saw someone standing there.

I looked back and they were gone.

I swear I saw a guy standing there looking at me!

"Jakey, go upstairs,"

"But what about ice cream!" he protested.

"I'll bring it up to you."

I kept my eyes on the window, searching for any sign of movement.

Jake leaped off his chair and ran upstairs.

I ran around the house checking all the doors and windows were locked.

They were, except one...
The back door...
I quickly locked it, before turning around and going to get Jake's ice cream.

I couldn't believe someone had been watching us eat. That's so creepy.

I finished putting Jake's ice cream in a bowl, I got a spoon out of the drawer and stabbed it into the ice cream, before taking it up to his room, where he was rubbing his now tear free face.

"Here we go your majesty," I joked, handing him the bowl. He was quick to dig in, somehow managing to smear the chocolate ice cream over his face. "This is so yummy!" he said between bites.

Just then the home phone started ringing...

I jogged down the stairs, to the kitchen, where the phone was charging.
"Hello, Alexis speaking..."
"Hello, is this Alexis Bradley?" A woman's voice asked, "Yes it is, may I ask who's speaking?" I asked curiously.

"This is Sarah Michael's from central hospital, your mother has been in an accident, I think it would be in your best interest to come down here as soon as possible." The lady told me, I gasped before asking, "Is she alright?"

"I think it's better if you come down to the hospital, so the doctor in charge of her case can talk to you in person. Do you have an adult you can bring with you?" She finished.

"Not anyone close," I told her, before continuing. "I'll be there soon."

"Jake, we have to go for a little ride" I told him, he was too young to know the truth, I grabbed  his empty bowl of ice cream, before carrying it downstairs.

My heart was beating erratically and I had a sick feeling in my stomach.

I quickly walked into my room and put my shoes on, grabbed my cellphone and keys, before meeting Jake in the hallway, we made our way to the car together, not forgetting to lock the door behind us.

"Is everything okay Lex?" Jake asked me, sensing my anxiety. I took a few deep breaths, trying to keep myself calm as a storm raged inside my head. "I don't know Bud."