Chapter 45

Chapter 45

"Joshua. Joshua, are you awake?" I whispered.

Joshua stirred, but didn't wake. The our small cell, which smelled of mold and rust, I blinked and adjusted to the light pouring in through the barred off window far too high for anyone to reach. My wings, spread out behind me, were in no condition to fly. Yesterday, my mother took a pair of pliers to them. Joshua has had to watch them torture me all week. I watched him sleep, watching his thinning body grow thinner and his stubble grow into the start of a beard. I'm not sure how long we've been here, maybe a month or two, but I do know that the odds of an extraction team coming are very low. This isn't fair. I'm the spy, not Joshua. He shouldn't have to be exposed to this. He- 

Suddenly, the cell door opened.

"Ember, come on." a voice said into the darkness.

I looked awya from Joshua's sleeping form. I couldn't move. I was far too sore, covered in bruises and cuts and scars. All from my mother. The woman I've wondered about my whole life. Well, I don't want any part of her now that I know her. Emily Rhinehart may have made me, and given birth to me, but she'll never be my mother. Neither will James Rhinehart. 

"Amber?"

She nodded, already working on my restraints. In the bed opposite to mine, Joshua shot up at the sound of our voices. His eyes grew wide when I became free, followed by Amber working on his restraints. It didn't take long for us to leave and get to the roof, but just as we saw the helicopter on the roof, we were being chased. Alarms sounded and guards ran after us. I ran, despite my pain in every step. Joshua dragged me along.

"Leave me behind!" I yelled over the chopping of the blades. 

Outside, it was cold and night time. The full moon cast a milky glow on everything. It would have been pretty, but I didn't take time to marvel at it. The chopper drew closer as Amber kept us going, shooting at the guards coming at us. They shot back. I seized a gun that had been dropped, but when I tried to shoot, it didn't shoot. I tossed it aside into the dry desert sand. Empty. Joshua grasped my arm as we got closer and closer to the helicopter. My heart raced. Sweat drenched me. I knew only one of us could make it. There's no way they'll be able to load us both and get away. I made a decision that would change my life forever. I love you, Joshua. At the last minute, as Amber and Joshua hopped into the helicopter, I tugged my arm out of Joshua's grasp and fell away. Joshua cried out to me. I watched him as the helicopter drew upwards, further and further away from me. 

"I love you, Joshua. Don't forget me!" I cried out before I was seized by guards and covered with a bag. 

(Vote and comment!)