Chapter 32

Chapter 32

"Joshua?" I asked, turning around in my seat.

Indeed, standing behind me with a big smile on his face, was Joshua McGallen. He had a backpack slung over his shoulder. His clothes casually hung off his (very) sculpted body. Amber's jaw dropped, her expression going slack. I forced a smile for Joshua's benefit and stood up, hugging him tightly.

"Oh, baby. What happened at Stanford?" I asked, kissing his cheek as I pulled away.

His hands remained on my waist, holding my in place. I felt my face heat in a furious blush as Amber came to her senses, turning on her slightly-flirty self. I sat back down in my chair. Joshua pulled one over, sitting next to me. Amber leaned on the table, slightly, propping her girls on it but making it indiscreet. I felt a stab of annoyance. Um, hello, my boyfriend! I gave her a quick glare. She caught my message, crossing her arms over her chest and slouching in her seat. Joshua took my hand in his, squeezing it gently.

"I don't know. I guess it just wasn't the school for me. This, however, is just my type of place."

I forced another smile, trying to hide my mixed emotions. Thank God he doesn't know how to read advanced body language (I may teach him some things, but I can't give him all my little secrets) or else he'd be leaving this instant. I was confused, upset, disappointed, worried, amazed, happy, and, well, just plain shocked. I thought he was supposed to stay in Washington, under close watch. Did something happen? My mind started flipping through the possibilities like a gruesome flip book. I pushed them aside. There's probably a reasonable explanation for this. Barnaby did call yesterday, when I was meeting with Micah. I haven't had time to return his phone call yet. 

"Well, I'm glad to hear that. So, what do you major in now, Mister First Son?" I teased, poking his chest with my index finger.

He laughed, seizing my hand and kissing my palm. I melted a little inside. Such a romantic. Meanwhile, Amber cleared her throat and looked away awkwardly. I finally acknowledged she was here. 

"Aviation and Engineering." he replied.

I nodded and started introductions. 

"Nice! Josh, I want you to meet my friend, Amber. She's in my sorority. Amber...well, you know who he is."

Amber nodded vigorously, holding out her hand anxiously for Joshua to shake. He flashed her one of his smoldering smiles, shaking her hand firmly. Amber looked like a starstruck fangirl...which she was. Joshua pulled his hand away, clearing his throat and looking down at his feet. I cut in to break the awkward tension. Not an ideal first meeting but I suppose it could be worse...

"Hey girls! What's- holy shit! You're Joshua McGallen!"

And, it just got worse. Eff my life. I turned in my seat to see Amy, grinning broadly and looking about ready to burst as she saw Joshua. Joshua shook her hand. His eyes remained on me, though. I smiled at him as Amy realized what she'd come into. 

"Oh, I'm sorry, did I walk into the middle of something?" she asked.

Joshua shook his head, sitting next to me and wrapping his arm around my waist. I couldn't help it when I rested my head on his shoulder. My Joshua. Mine. 

"Not at all. Ember was just introducing me to Amber. I never had you pegged as a sorority girl, my love?"

Joshua toyed with a lock of my newly colored hair. See what I mean? What a romantic! 

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me." I answered nonchalantly, flipping through a few pages of my Homeland Security book. 

Out of my peripheral, I saw Joshua raise an eyebrow and lean intoxicatingly closer to me. His shoulder pressed into mine, his hot breath tickling my collarbone. I had to fight the excited shivers that ran through me. Amber and Amy gave us an illusion of "privacy" by pretending to talk about something else, but stealing glances at Joshua and I. Yes, yes, I'm dating the First Son. Can we move along please? Even if he is seventy thousand shades of gorgeous packed into one male. 

"Then, maybe, I should debrief you like a proper gentleman and see what you're hiding." he whispered seductively.

I giggled, feeling another heated blush. I matched his witty banter.

"Don't you have work to do, mister? That homework isn't going to do itself, you know."

Joshua chuckled. Again, melting here.

"I suppose, but I have a very strict To-Do list that I've been dying to get started on." 

I gave him a mock look, which made him chuckle. Amber and Amy glanced the quickest of glances our way, giggling. 

"What a shame." I answered.

After Joshua established that he wouldn't be bedding anyone tonight (unfortunate for him), he kissed my cheek and said goodbye. Amber and Amy watched him (or, more particularly, his ass) as he walked away and out of the mess hall. They burst into hysterics when he was out of sight.

"You are one lucky bitch!" Amber exclaimed.

I pursed my lips, slouching back in my seat and trying to act like a pimp. Amy and Amber chuckled.

"What can I say? I'm a charmer." 

With that, my confusion went away...temporarily.