Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Beep...beep...beep...

I open my eyes groggily, groaning and throwing my arm out to shut off my alarm clock. But, then I realize that isn't my alarm clock. I am suddenly alert, eyes wide open and studying everything. The beep next to me is a heart monitor, keeping track of my heartbeat. I look around and spot Addy in a chair next to my bed, smiling at me when our gazes meet.

"Hey, sweetheart. How are you feeling?" she said in a soft, motherly tone.

I sighed, sitting up. Suddenly, immense pain shot through me. I collapsed back onto the pillows, hissing. Addy stands up.

"Now, Ember, don't try to move too fast. You'll aggravate the gun wounds."

Gun wounds. Oh. Right. All the memories from the Smithsonian came flooding back to me. The gunman. Preston and his classmates, running away as the gunman was occupied with killing me. Or, at least, attempting to kill me. Fortunately, he didn't succeed. I nodded, relaxing into the pillows. Addy sat back down. For the first time, I realized another chair next to hers with someone jacket draped over it. I recognized the jacket but couldn't quite put where...

"Is someone else here?"

Addy nodded.

"Yes. Joshua went down to the cafeteria to go get some breakfast. Poor boy. He stayed up all night without eating any dinner, waiting for you to wake up."

She smiled.

"He cares about you. A lot."

I smiled. Yes, yes he does. She cleared her throat, taking out her shiny new iPhone (courtesy of the CIA after her old one got ruined) and texting someone.

"I promised your father I'd let him know when you woke up. He came by here earlier, but you were still out."

I nodded, looking down at my clasped hand sitting in my lap. We sat in silence, the only sounds coming from the vitals machine and other doctors talking in hushed tones. How many times have I been to this hospital? Too many to even count. Suddenly, the curtain separating me from the person beside me moved. Standing beside it, clutching a steaming Styrofoam cup of what I assumed to be coffee, was Joshua. I smiled and held out my arms to him. He hugged me awkwardly, kissing my cheek. Addy smiled, putting her phone back into her purse.

"Joshua." I breathed, pressing my forehead against his.

He cupped my cheek and kissed me gently. Addy grabbed her purse and excused herself, giving us our privacy. Joshua kissed me over and over, being careful of my injuries. Due to my Nephilim healing, they've already started to fix themselves.

"Oh My God, Ember. When I first heard about you being shot, I thought I lost you." Joshua whispered.

I wrapped my arm without the IV tube around his neck, kissing him. He placed his coffee on the side table, reclining back next to me. I chuckled. If the doctor were to come in at this exact moment, he'd be in big trouble. I scooted over to make room for him anyway. He smiled at me, chuckling. I couldn't help myself when I started laughing.

"You're going to get into so much trouble when the doctor sees you." I said through fits of laughter.

Joshua shrugged, sinking back into the lumpy hospital bed pillows. I sighed. Again, silence. I hated it.

"So, how was Stanford?" I asked.

Joshua shrugged again.

"It was okay. Beautiful campus. The classes are good too. I missed you."

I smiled, resting my head on his shoulder. He kissed the top of it.

"Did I tell you I joined a sorority?" I asked him.

He made a sound at the back of his throat. I laughed.

"A sorority? Wow. I did not have you pegged as a sorority girl."

"Well, then, I guess you don't know me as well as you thought." I taunted.

He gave a curt laugh.

"I should hope I know you as well as I think I do. Otherwise, someone could kidnap you and I wouldn't know the difference."

I rolled my eyes.

"Sure, hun. Whatever you say."

Joshua laughed again. I smiled. Did he join anything at Stanford? I wonder...

"So, now that you know I'm a sorority girl, is there anything YOU want to tell me? Hm?"

Joshua pretended to think about it. I waited. A lopsided grin twisted his lips. Had I not been a spy, I would have swooned. But, after being shot multiple times and somehow making it out alive, swooning isn't as easy. Even with a guy as gorgeous and charming as Joshua. Have I mentioned he's gorgeous?

"No, unfortunately not. I'm a lonely man with my laptop and homework as my only friends."

I quirked an eyebrow up, attempting to look cute. Unfortunately, cute doesn't necessarily apply to me anymore.

"Smart is the new sexy." I bumped his shoulder.

He smirked cockily.

"I know."

Then, suddenly, a person I wasn't expecting to see came around the corner. And I was mad.

(Hey guys! So, I wrote this in class after finishing a test. Lol I had the idea all through the test and I was trying like mad to finish it. Hope you guys like it! I missed writing Joshua and Ember scenes.)