Chapter 39

Chapter 39

"So this is the beautiful Ember we've heard so much about?"

Joshua looked up from his Intro to Aviation Design textbook, smirking. I smiled, my head resting on my fiancé's shoulder. Joshua five fraternity brothers were gathered around a flat screen TV, playing an intense game of Call of Duty. Curses flew left and right, paired by the sounds of computerized gunshots and warfare. Luke stood before us, his hands on his hips. I have to admit, he's cute. But not as cute as Joshua.

"Yes, she is. Ember, this is Luke. I think you might've seen him last night."

I lifted my head, nodding and smiling at Joshua. Luke held out his hand to me. I shook it firmly. From the boys gathered around the TV, there came another round of gunshots followed by a string of curses little children should never be around to hear.

"I did. It's nice to meet you." I said.

"Same here. Nice ring, by the way. Josh give it to you?"

I almost said yes but caught myself.

"No, it was my grandmother's. She gave it to me in her will."

Luke nodded, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

"Damn. She must have been a rich grandma."

I chuckled.

"She was."

Oh, how perfect does this lie work? Joshua sighed, closing his textbook on his journal with a snap.

"I need to go check the Quad. Would you like to come with me, Ember?"

I nodded, taking his hand and standing up. We said a quick goodbye to Luke before slipping out of the fraternity. Joshua tucked his book under his arm, sighing and rubbing his eyes. with the back of his hand.

"Okay, babe?" I asked.

Joshua nodded.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

Such a lie.

"No, you're not."

Joshua sighed again, raking his free hand through his shiny black hair. I gave his hand a firm squeeze.

"It's nothing, Ember. Really, it's not."

My turn to sigh. I let go of his hand, standing in front of him and staring into his face. His gray eyes held a mix of emotions. I wrapped my arms around his neck, despite being in public. So what if the gossip magazines get a picture of us. I've got my hair dyed now. Obviously, that doesn't make me a completely new person but...

"You know you can tell me whatever  you like, right?"

He nodded, placing his hands on my waist and resting his forehead on mine. I closed my eyes, smiling. His book and notebook clattered to the ground.

"I know. It's not that important, though. I promise. I wouldn't keep it from you if it wasn't."

I only had his word to go on.

(Sorry for grammar! Typed this on my iPod. It's a boring chapter but it's only a filler, right? Vote and comment!)