Chapter 27

Chapter 27

By the time I recovered, it was already nearing the end of September. I walked along campus again, still familiar with the place. Barnaby had somehow convinced the dean that I was away on "family business" (which, technically, I was. It was business, per say, just not "family" oriented) and that it was urgent. I'm not sure if he actually bought it but, hey, at least I'm back and was excused. I reached my dorm, unlocked the door, and found my room completely empty. My jaw dropped and I started swearing in Polish. Where the hell is all my stuff? Did university really think I-

"OMG! You're back! You came back to us!"

I turned around, only to be half-tackled by ninety eight pounds of Amber. She wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug, squeezing so hard I couldn't breathe. I hugged her back, nonetheless. The hug induced a stab of lingering pain, but I could live with it. I was happy to see her again. She pulled away first.

"Girl, you have some major explaining to do. Come on, let's get back to the sorority so you can see the other girls."

She started dragging me along with her before I could say otherwise. I could get away, but I don't want to hurt my only friend I've made so far. Plus, I'm banned from using the Huntington escape maneuver on a US citizen. It's a long story...

"First of all, what the hell did you do to your hair?"

I had forgotten about my sudden appearance change. After my unofficial TV appearance, the CIA ordered that I change at least one part of my appearance. And since I don't feel like wearing colored-contacts every day, dying my hair was my next best decision. Joshua didn't like the idea (he likes my auburn hair the way it is) but even he can't argue with the CIA. I went with chestnut brown and amber lowlights. Different but not too unusual. I smiled and flipped my hair over my shoulder, matching her pace as she slowed to a walk and released my arm. Outside, it was sunny and clear skied. Students clutched books and binders, steaming cups of coffee and tea. I would kill to have one of those right now.

"I changed it up. My boyfriend seems to like it."

This provoked violence in the Amber specimen. The minute I mentioned Joshua, she punched my arm. Hard. I laughed, rubbing it.

"Um, OW!" I scolded.

She mock glared at me, trying not to smile but smirking anyway. I rolled my eyes.

"How could you not tell me your boyfriend was the First Son?! That's frickin' amazing! Is he a good kisser? Did he get a little somethin'-somethin' yet, if you know what I mean?"

She wiggled her eyebrows. I laughed. Oh, Amber.

"Whoa, personal! Besides, why do you need to know the details of my love life, and to further extent, sex life? MOM?" 

Amber punched my arm again, lighter this time. I shoved her slightly. We laughed. Suddenly, she stopped me in front of a generic brick building, labeled with three pink Greek symbols. The sorority. I took a deep breath. Amber glanced at me.

"Ready to meet the girls? We moved your stuff for you, by the way. You room with me and Amy."

I nodded and climbed the stairs to my new home for the rest of my college experience.