11 - Some call it love

I was supposed to spend Friday night like how I spent every other Friday night - spending quality time with my attic. Wow, that made me sound like some lonely loser, but I guess that was my lifestyle preference. After all, I did spend a large part of my life lonely. Very much lonely. 

But then, since I have found friends, I haven't been there for very long, or like a whole day like I would have liked. No. Now, I was stuck with having to regularly go out with the bunch of losers I hang out with because Terrence always tell mum about what they plan on doing, so I can't reject them. I groaned as the three of them barged into my room, barely giving me enough time to get out of my attic. Out of the three of them, only Connor knew about my hiding spot. 

"Get up, sis. We're going out. Now."

"Go away!" I complained. 

"No way!" 

I jumped off the bed and then stuck my head out of the door. "Mum! Terrence is disturbing me!"

"No, he's not, dear! You are going to go out to some of the wild parties normal people your age go to!" She yelled back from downstairs, of where I assumed was the kitchen. 

For my mother to agree to me going to one of those wild school parties they hold every week, she must've hit her head or something. Or maybe she was just that desperate to get me out of the house. Because it was very likely that it was never going to happen without the three idiots whom I spend most of my time nowadays with. 

Terrence smirked at me. "Told you! Now go get changed! If you're not changed in five minutes, we're coming in no matter what!" I seriously didn't take that threat seriously. Because I would have tackled the first one to the floor before anyone could come in. I was just that badass. 

Well, I would never really be able to tackle one of them to the ground, but, I would do something like that anyway. or maybe I would only be able to try. 

Not thrilled with the idea that one of them might be able to come into my room while I was changing and me not able to inflict any harm, I decided to lock the door, where I went to my wardrobe. I decided to go for something more likely to impress someone than my regular jeans and T-shirt, so I ended up struggling into my one and only party dress I bought a few years ago but still fit into. 

It was black, which seemed to be the only colour which matched my hair. It was rather modest, coming up to my knees, and the straps covered the most of my shoulder. Looking at myself in the mirror, I decided that I looked nice in it. Satisfied, I opened the door. Derek's mouth dropped open. He went over to Terrence. "Who's that? It looks like a girl, but it looks like Ginger too!"

I punched him on the shoulder. He sighed. "Hmm, it really is Ginger. Only she punches like a boy."

I rolled my eyes. "Man up, Derek."

Connor took my hand in his. "I think you look nice!" He said, sucking up.

I laughed and agreed with him. Derek pouted while Terrence went over to disturb him. So this was basically how it was like. Connor and I stuck together while Terrence and Derek were always bickering. Well, actually everyone liked to tease Derek, because he was just simply so fun to tease. 

I slipped on a pair black sandals to go along with my dress, and Connor looped his arm through mine, pulling me closer to him. Dressed in a black long-sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up and dark jeans, he looked pretty amazing to me. I mean, who else could pull off wearing so much black?

"You two ready, behind?" Terrence asked. 

"Yeah," Connor called out, pulling me closer to him. I enjoyed it, that he was treating me like I was his girlfriend, even though I wasn't. I really did hope to be his girlfriend eventually, though. He was such a nice person. 

The car ride was basically the three of us listening to Derek talk about how drunk he was going to get. Since we were all eighteen, we all could legally drink. Connor seemed to be enjoying listening to Derek getting drunk, because he kept adding things to his list of what to do when he's drunk. For example, Derek said he wanted to get laid as a result to not remember anything, and Connor added that it should be with a guy. Yeah, I know my friends are weird. 

I still personally had my doubt about the party. I mean, the last time I had went to a party, it was a pretty embarrassing moment for me, which ended up being the topic of hot gossip for a very long time in the school. I - on the other hand - didn't get the fun. 

In the last wild party I had attended, my friends then had all decided to start drinking, leaving me out because I was very much sticking to what my mother had said to me about staying away from alcohol. However, my then drunk friends had all went off and left me, leaving me alone in the party. Then, this guy that I liked came over and started flirting with me. I, much rather taken aback, started to talk to him back. 

At that moment, I had totally dropped my guard, forgetting that the boy I was talking to was one of the jerks. Or maybe it was because I had never really gotten to talk to him, I didn't know it yet. The thing is, after we talked, he told me that he was going to get a drink. Of course, I told him to get me something non-alcoholic. 

As I watched him go, my eyes followed him as he went the opposite direction of where the drinks were supposed to be. He seemed to be waiting at the spot for a while when this other guy came over and handed him a wad of cash. At first I was confused, but I waited where I was anyway, waiting for the guy to come back. Half an hour later, he still had not come back. 

By this time, I was very confused. Then it dawned on me. Him talking to me. The collection of money. Him not showing up. I got frustrated realising that he was only talking to me as part of a bet. Angry, I went over to look for my friends to tell them I was leaving.

When I eventually found them, they were all sitting in a room in the house, laughing. I approached one of them and told her I was going to leave. She simply nodded as I left. Then, they all broke out in laughter. "Oh my gosh!"

"Girls, did you know Jerry really did flirt with Miranda, and she's still clueless that we were the ones who had told him to do so!" 

 I was so angry at them. They were the ones who told him to told him? Humiliated, I left the place as soon as I could. Of course, I had people pointing ot me and laughing at me, but there really wasn't much that I could do. And that was the first time I had done so much running willingly. 

"Earth to Mi?" Connor asked as he poked my cheek. I laughed before looking at him. 

"Yes, Connor?"

"Have you been to a party before?"

"Nope," I lied. Terrence looked at me through the mirror worriedly and I looked back. He knew about what had happened all those years ago. He was the person I had always run to when something upset me when I was fifteen. Although he was only older than me by two minutes, it was more like two years. 

Connor grinned. "You'll be having fun then!"

I smiled at him faintly. "I hope so."

I looked out of the window, trying my best to rid myself of the memories, which insisted on sticking in my brain. The night had not even started, yet I was already dreading what was to come of tonight. I hoped that none of the girls from my previous group of friends would be attending the party, although that was wishful thinking. 

This was the kind of party that everyone in school came to, just to be acknowledged as the people who knew everyone and where the party was at. I hoped that at least they wouldn't recognise me. 

I sighed softly and kept my gaze out of the window. I hoped hard that this was going to be alright, and not like all the last one I attended. 

Word count: 1496

Total count: 21541