5 - Some call it love

For the first time since I was fifteen, I realise the benefits of actually having a phone. Often staying alone, I never seemed to find a need for using something that was meant for communication or something related to that purpose. My teachers would have never dared of giving their numbers away freely just for the students to ask questions because rumours go that one teacher did that before and ended up getting her house location found out by some geek who was bribed by some kids to help the stalk the teacher.

Needless to say, she quit and moved out of the town (or maybe even country) entirely. 

Furthermore, with no friends and my mother being a housewife, there was not really a reason for me to own a phone besides when I'm too lazy to use the computer and need to search something up or when my mother would be out and she needed me to text her the grocery list because she couldn't remember the shopping list. 

Besides those reasons, I never really used my phone. It was just one very expensive time-telling device where I failed to wear a watch because I never really found any need to keep one. I was quite fine without it. 

At least, that was until I realised that Connor and Derek had somehow found my number out and told almost everyone they knew. They told the soccer team at school that the number belonged to some "really hot chick" in which they had both met at a party and befriended. I didn't seem to share the joke with them, but nonetheless, it was fun reading how the guys wanted to pick me up. 

The two crazy boys had given me a heads-up. They seemed to enjoy slowly breaking the news to me. <Hey Miranda! Connor here! How often do you use your phone?>

<Hey Connor! Not very often, why?>

<That's kind of sad, but hey, I and Derek helped you get a whole lot of messages from the guys at the soccer team!>

<What?>

Then, as if on cue, it seemed as though several messages came in at once, leaving me very confused when I read them. I then proceeded to call Connor.

"Connor, what's going on?" I asked him. 

I could hear some laughter at the other end of the line. I presumed that to be Derek from the raucous laughter. I only knew one person who laughed like that. "Miranda," Connor gasped between breaths, "Derek and I told the whole soccer team that you were some kind of hot chick we picked up on the weekend at some random party!" He broke for a while where he started to wheeze. "We had a bet with Terrence that we couldn't get you to have more than seven people text you today!"

I was horrified. What exactly had the two jokers done? 

"But what if one of them calls me?" I asked him, my voice squeaking. A 'hot chick'?

I could almost hear the shrug in his voice. "Don't answer then."

I winced. He seemed so carefree. "But my voicemail clearly says that my name is Miranda!"

He burst out laughing again. "That's gonna be a sight to see! Oh wait, someone is calling you now! I gotta go, reject the call. I'm gonna hang up now, but we'll take a video for you. Bye!"

With that, I heard the monotonous tone of the line going dead. What exactly had the two jokers gotten me into?

As soon as my phone rang, I stared at it dubiously. Should I answer it, or should I simply hang up? If I answer it, I could simply hang up immediately after that. I mean, and then the line would just go dead. If I hung up, the voicemail in my rather unattractive voice would play and this guy would give me a hard time most probably.

"What the heck," I muttered to myself and accepted the phone call. As I was going to hang up, an idea formed in my mind. I grinned to myself as I did a quick recap of my drama lessons I used to take when I was much younger.