3 - Some call it love

I knew I would hate mum's plan. I stand corrected. 

Saturday was essentially my official day of sleep. It was when I got up and one in the afternoon and then had brunch and then went on to do what I did best every day, sit at my attic watching the people in the neighbourhood. Secretly laugh at people who decide it would be funny to forget to close the windows while showering or something like that. 

However, at the beginning of this particular day, I was woken up at seven in the morning. 

"Wake up Miranda!" Terrence cheerfully called as he entered my sanctuary. "I've called some of my soccer buddies. We'll be meeting them in the field at eight! Don't wanna be late."

I groaned. "Leave me alone, Terrence," I muttered as I turned to my side to cuddle with the sheets and continue on with my comfort in sleeping. Then, he did the unthinkable, according to me. He pulled my comforter, and then left my nice and warm body exposed in the cold room. I was shivering on my bed. 

"Come on, Miranda!" 

I groaned in reply as I got into the shower, which was mainly to wash away whatever sleepiness I had left. Then, I got changed into the most comfortable T-shirt I had and shorts. I tied up my ginger hair and then put on my best pair of running shoes, which I only had because Terrence had outgrown them and they looked rather alright so I kept them. 

When I was done, Terrence pushed me into his car. He tossed me a banana. "Eat this," he said, "it will give you the energy you'll need later for the game."

I reluctantly accepted it, and then took small bites from us. I really wasn't looking forward to soccer with Terrence's friends, because they were the ones who laughed at me in school (you would have thought that by eighteen they would have given up), and maybe because they could have me an injured arm or foot as soon as I was out with them. 

And then also maybe because I didn't want them to see how unfit I really was. I didn't want to give them another reason to laugh at me. In PE, I could hardly run as the other girls could, so I was basically panting the whole way we were running on the track. And I was much worse in sport. I am always the last one to get picked on teams. 

And when I do get picked, I'm always the reserve. That is because of the last time I was actually selected to play something, which surprise surprise, turns out to be soccer, I had not been paying attention and I ended up scoring all own goals. Embarrassing? Yes. 

As soon as Terrence's car pulled over in the relatively empty parking lot in the park, I knew my fate had been sealed. I couldn't escape by running because let's face it; I couldn't even make it halfway across the parking lot without running out of breath. And even if I somehow managed to get out, Terrence would catch me anyway. 

Terrence practically dragged me out of the car to the field. However, I constantly his behind him. For once, I was grateful for our height difference and that he provided me with enough cover that his buddies wouldn't know that it was me hiding behind him. 

At the field, Terrence dragged me out from behind his back and then introduced me to the other guys. They all seemed to instantly recognise me. Well, not really, but they knew who I was. "Guys," Terrence greeted them, "this is my sister Miranda. She will be joining us for soccer every Saturday from now on because I made a deal with my mum to go to England!"

"Hey!" One of the boys cried out. "It's Ginger!" I cringed inwardly. I still haven't outgrown that nickname. I mentally cursed the guy as soon as the boys started to fuss about my hair. They tugged my ponytail and pinched my cheeks. It wasn't my fault I had the freckles!

Terrence grinned at me. "Let's play!"

They all agreed and then broke off into teams. I was fortunate enough to be on Terrence's team. I didn't really know the names of anyone besides Terrence, because I was too awkward to ask and I was quite sure they were going to give me funny names that weren't even true, so I decided on just being a log and standing there. However, that didn't work out too well for me. 

"Terry!" One of our teammates yelled. "Your sister isn't doing anything!" I mentally cringed, and then told them I was out of breath. Luckily for me, they bought into it. Truth was, I just didn't want to embarrass myself by making any own goals. Because that was sure to never end my days of being bullied. 

As I ran towards the ball as an effort to show Terrence that I was at least trying, I ended up tripping on my own feet and then I face-planted the floor. Embarrassment did not even begin to cover what I had felt. I felt all the blood rush to my cheeks as I slowly stood up. Everyone around me was laughing hysterically, including my twin brother. 

However, I was saved when this kid suddenly showed up. "What's so funny?" 

They all stopped laughing to see who had asked, then they realised it was someone who hadn't originally been there. "Connor!" They all greeted in unison. 

"Sorry I was late! I totally forgot to set my alarm and I kind of just woke up." The boys shared a bit of banter before carrying on with the game. Finally, after all that time in the sun, 90 minutes had passed, so we all went to take a break. 

I was trying to suck up any remaining moisture from my empty water bottle when someone spoke behind me. "Miranda right?"

It was the new boy. As in, the one who overslept. "Right and you're Connor," I said, turning around to greet him. It was only then did I notice that he was Dog Boy. 

"Hey, you're the boy with the dog who lives opposite." 

He laughed. When he did, he threw his head back carelessly and closed his pretty blue eyes. His blonde hair would then tickle the back of his neck as he laughed. "Yeah, and you're the girl from across who's always in the attic!"

"That's me," I said, suddenly shy that he had noticed. We then proceeded to have a conversation on something about his dog which he named Spots, until my team (the team which lost) demanded for a rematch. I groaned and prepared for another 90 minutes of hell. 

Three more games later, I finally managed to finish and then I dashed to the comfort of a shower. It was so hot outside, and the boys just insisted on having rematches. By the time I was done with my shower, I barely had enough strength to pull me up the attic and take my place by the window ledge. Just my luck to see Connor taking Spots out. He waved and smiled to me before running after his dog, which was feeling a bit antsy. I laughed and waved after him.

Maybe, just maybe, I could get a friend out of this whole take-Miranda-out-to-play deal which Terrence had taken up.

And maybe, just maybe, I might find this friend slightly attractive in some way. 

Word count: 1266

Total count: 3620