Writing's On The Wall

11 year old Nicki watched from her window as their new neighbors moved in. She knew it was wrong to be in other people's business, but she couldn't help it; she was a curious child. She watched as the movers took the many boxes into the house.

She was just about to move on and find something else to occupy her time when she saw a young boy about her age sat in the front garden of that house just watching with an emotionless expression as they moved everything in. It was a new face and she knew he must've been the child of the woman who was moving in.

She took that as her chance and made her way down the stairs of their house and after telling her mother where she was going she put her shoes on and made her way over to them.

She stood just in front of him and smiled. He looked up and remained emotionless. "Hi, My names Nicki," she said cheerfully. "I live next door."

He observed her for a moment before patting the spot next to him, which lead her to sit next to him. "I'm Drake." He said. She observed his accent and due to her love for acting pinpointed straight away.

"You're Canadian right?" She asked and he nodded. "You don't seem too happy about moving," She mentioned after sensing his unhappy demeanor.

"I'm not. I was happy in Canada, but my mother's job brought us here. Left all my friends there, and I know I can make new ones here, but I'm not really good at talking to people and I would rather keep to myself really,"

"Well I can be your friend, but that's only if you want?" She insisted.

"I'd like that," He said with a smile.

His mother just stood watching him from a distance. She was brought out of her gaze by one of the men who was helping them out. "He's alright, just make sure he keeps his circle small." He said as he walked past her. "Every hero needs a sidekick right? she already looks perfect." He chuckled and continued on with his job...

Present Day...

Nicki gently moved the arms from around her waist and made her way to her ensuite bathroom. She took in her appearance as she brushed her teeth. Once she she was done in the bathrooom she made her way out of the bedroom and into the living room of their condo. Walking straight to the kitchen, she made a start on her morning coffee.

Today she was off and in some ways she was glad even though she preferred to be at work just to get away from her boyfriend. There was nothing wrong with him as such; he loved her and would do anything for her but sometimes she just felt he was too clingy and did too much. Maybe because the most important guy in her life as she grew up was the complete opposite and blanked her out most of the time.

Speaking of which, she hadn't heard from him in too long. After his last mission he just disappeared as he always did, but he didn't come back after a few months needing her help like he normally did. It had been almost a year and a half since she last saw him and she was getting worried, but something told her he was okay and she'd be seeing him soon. They'd grown so close in their childhood years that they could almost sense when the other was near.

She sighed and ran her hand through her hair. She closed her eyes and just let herself relax as she leaned against the counter but it wasn't long before she felt arms wrap around her waist and a kiss placed on her temple. "Morning beautiful," he said in his deep voice as he held her.

"Morning babe," was her simple response. She opened her eyes and just looked at him for a moment before smiles made their way onto their faces. He kissed her cheek before heading to make himself a cup of coffee. "What have you got planned today?" She asked, making conversation to rid of the silence they were in.