Destiny Keeps Getting In The Waay- 43

Some Sexual Content. You have been warned!!!

---

I rubbed my face tiredly as I had my break at lunch during work. I didn't care if my eyeliner smeared. I had too much on my plate. I wished I had the small problems like maybe... paying a bill late or... something but not have someone black mailing to sleep with him to get revenge on my boyfriend and have a crazy man after me to get revenge for sending him to prison. Marcela, Alondra and Mike asked me what was wrong but I couldn't tell them anything about both things.

I told them I was just tired. They talked about their patients.

Suddenly all of the beepers in the cafeteria went off. Every nurse was called to the emergency area.

"Not another car accident." Mike moaned.

Everyone had to leave their food and race to the emergency room. Calls like these didn't really happen often so it must be something really bad. I put my pony tail into a bun. At the emergency room we were informed that there was an accident in the subways and the first wave of patients were coming soon.

On the TV's there were breaking news about the whole thing. Apparently one of the rails had gotten stuck and instead of the train going to the opposite way they went head on. The drivers were able to slow down but there were still many injured.

We got our gowns, gloves and masks on. I turned off my cell phone and so did everyone else. At times like this it was best if nothing bothered us.

The first wave was not that bad. Some had burns and scratches but that was easy to handle. It was chaos and worse than the car collision. It was nonstop and it seemed like it was never going to end. Blood. Blood. And more blood. Some would squirt on me and patients wouldn't stop coming in.

The second wave was the worst. People with bad burns and metal stuff stuck to them. The worst bad burn was a third degree and the kid was only seventeen. I was told to stay with him and distract him as the plastic surgeon had to remove the burnt skin. It would be painful the worst pain he will ever endure.

"Hi, Keith," I read the chart and sat down next to him, "I'm Melinda."

"H-Hi." He shivered and whimpered.

"How old are you?" I asked him.

"Se-seventeen."

"Do you know what you want to do?" I kept my tone light.

"Computer tech." He said.

"You're not from here are you?" I said noticing he had no accent.

"California." He gasped in pain as the surgeon removed a part of the skin.

I held on to his hand. "So may I. I'm from southern California."

"Orange County." He smiled a bit. "I'm he-here for... fami-family."

"My family just left to California." I said.

"It's alw-always raining here."

I chuckled. "Yes and getting used to the time is a pain in the butt. I almost fell asleep several times on my first month here."

He seemed to be smiling.

Hours later it was over. I mean several hours later. It was midnight and now we were just checking up on the patients.

"Melinda!" Nathan's voice filled my ears.

I looked up from the chart and met his worried eyes.

He looked like he had been running the marathon.