Destiny Keeps Getting In The Way- Chapter 8

Chapter 8

[Melinda's Point of View]

Anger couldn't possibly describe my feelings right now. Hurt, betrayed would be the most likely words I would use. I cried silently as the cab driver drove me back to my place. I was so glad I had the day off.

My chest still felt tight and my heart feels like someone was squeezing it and I couldn't breathe right, it would come like gasps if I tried to breathe in deeply.

"You okay, Miss?" The driver asked.

"I'm all right." I was able to gasp out.

"Heartbreak?" He asked.

I nodded my head. "I really don't want to talk about it, sir."

"I understand." He said and focused back on the road.

When he got to my building I paid him and got out of the car. It was still raining and I made it to the building, but I was still soaking wet. I raced to the elevators and pressed the button over and over again.

I closed my eyes and I would find myself seeing Nathan's eyes and so many different feelings would come to me first love and relief to see him awake then betrayed and hurt that he couldn't tell me and that he lied to me so many times. That he couldn't just confront me.

Didn't he want me anymore?

God, I bet he thinks it's too much drama to be with me. I wouldn't blame him. It's not exactly every day you fall in love with your hostage and chase after when she loses her memory but then gets it back and hates you and then forgives you and just when you have a shot of happiness it's all taken away and then end up in a coma.

Finally the elevator reached my floor and I zoomed out to my apartment. There was someone at my door.

"Can I help you?"

The man looks at me. Peter Watson. I was so glad to see him. He smiled at me.

"Hello, Melinda."

Before I could say anything I hugged him. I hugged him tightly. I could tell he was surprised.

"What is it? What happened?" He asked immediately.

I didn't say anything. Instead I broke down into hysterics. God I was pathetic! But I couldn't control my body. I was emotionally hurt and I needed to let it out.

"Where are your keys? You're soaking wet and if you don't get some dry clothes you'll get sick." He said.

"Bag." I muttered out.

He still held me as he took out the keys and opened the door. He closed it behind us. He picked me up bridal style and took me to the living room. He sets me down on the couch.

"Where's your room?" He asked.

I pointed to the direction. He left and then came back with a blanket. He drapes it over my shoulders.

"Melinda, tell me what happened."

"He's awake, Pete. He's been awake for three years!!!"

"Who? Nathan?" He asked.

I nodded. There was a small silence.

"How do you know? Did you see him? How?!" He asked.

"I saw him, Pete! At the hospital I work at he goes there for physical therapy!!! He lied to me, Pete. He lied!" I yelled in anger.

"He lied to us." Peter said.

I almost forgot Peter and Nathan were best friends since childhood. It must hurt him too.