Destiny Keeps Getting In The Way- Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"Come on, Mels, spill to juicy gossip." Alondra insisted the next day in the morning.

"There's nothing to tell, Alondra." I said and backed up my lie with a small laugh.

Alondra narrowed her eyes at me. "I know there's something because the way you spoke to Nathan."

"And how would that be?" I asked.

"Like you missed him." I blushed and went back to checking the chart.

"I have to go check on Susan." I said. I really did. She was still recovering from the surgery from yesterday.

I knocked on her door lightly.

"Come in." She told me.

I walked in and found her in bed with the blinds close.

"It's a beautiful morning." I said walking over to the curtains and opened it.

It was one of those rare sunny days.

"Did David die because of me?" Susan asked.

It took me a second to figure out that David was going to be the name of the twin that died.

"No, ma'am it wasn't because of you." I said seriously.

She broke into hysterics sobbing. I set down my chart and hugged her. She hugged me back.

"You must be strong for the baby."

"I just can't help but feel that I could've done something to prevent this."

"This was way out of your control. You must understand that things happen for a reason." I told her the same thing my mom told me after Nathan got into a coma.

"I could've saved him." She was using my words now.

"No... you couldn't." I held her and sh-ed her.

I gave her something to sleep because the bangs under her eyes told me she wasn't sleeping and she needed rest get better.

I walked out of her room and saw Nathan leaning against the opposite wall. My eyes widen. I didn't expect him on this floor.

"You said we could talk and I need to talk now." Nathan told me seriously.

I looked around making sure none of the residents were looking because I would get in trouble.

"Nathan... it's a bit early." I said shifting my weight uncomfortably.

"What time is your lunch?"

"I'm... I--uh... eleven thirty." I answered.

"I'll meet you in the cafeteria." He said and began to walk away.

I placed my hand over my heart to make it stop beating so fast. I walked over the nurse's station.

"Why are you all flushed?" Alondra asked.

"I-uh--um... it's nothing." I muttered and chuckled.

She looked back to where I had been with Nathan and frowned. Good he was gone.

"Why won't you tell me?" Alondra asked.

"It's a long and complicated story." I sighed.

"It's been a slow day!" Marcela chimed in from behind the desk.

"Come on, we're buddies." Mike smiled.

I chuckled.

"All right. Here it goes."