What A Warm Welcoming...

"Holy shit, it's hot!"

"You complain about the heat a lot." Ryoku pointed out.

I rolled my eyes. "Of course I do, I hate it." How ironic since I was a summer baby.

"Relax, we're almost there." He told me.

I blinked, surprised. "Really? How close?"

Ryoku paused. "Hmm... About thirty minutes to an hour."

I groaned. That still seemed like a pretty far trip. We had already entered the Land of Fire yesterday, at noon, like Ryoku said. He told me the difference between the Land of Fire and Wind were the environment. The Land of Wind was a desert while the Land of Fire consists of forests which we are currently walking through. Ryoku was also kind enough to explain chakra to me yesterday. He took enough time out to show me how to tap into it and do basic techniques called jutsu. I learned how to make two clones and do a substitution jutsu. It was pretty awesome!

Ryoku and I talked often with each other, since we obviously had nothing else better to do but become more acquainted with one another. He had a sense of humor which I didn't really expect due to the fact that he was in the Anbu, which he elaborated more to me... somewhat.

"Being in the Anbu sounds lit." I commented while walking.

Ryoku me a look. "Lit?"

I grinned and nodded. "Lit."

He chuckled at me and shook his head. "You have interesting lingo."

I laughed. "You'll get used to it."

But I did mean what I said, the Anbu sounds cool. I wouldn't mind being in the Anbu Black Ops. I'd sound official then! Of course I'd have to have a special skill and be chosen by the Hokage... Whom I have yet to even meet.

We were walking for awhile through the forest before I heard a distant meow. I stopped dead in my tracks to make sure I wasn't hearing things.

Ryoku looked back at me confused. "What's wrong?"

I held a finger up. "Shh."

We were quiet for another moment before I heard it again. I turned on my heel and walked towards the meow I heard. Yes, I'm one of those people who can't resist cats. I might end up being that crazy cat lady living up your block in thirty years from now.

"Where are you going?" Ryoku asked trailing behind me.

I didn't know what to say. 'Oh, I heard a meow so I'm looking for a cat.'? How did that sound? "To check something out."

I could practically hear Ryoku's confusion. What did I, a girl whose never been in the area, have to 'check out'? But nonetheless, he followed and didn't question me further which I was grateful for. I heard the meow again, only this time closer. It was clear the meow came from a kitten and not a grown cat. I banked around a wide tree and stopped abruptly when I saw something very dark in contrast to my surroundings. At the bottom of the tree was a skinny black kitten with huge yellow eyes. It didn't look like a full grown cat but it wasn't a newborn either, but somewhere in between. The kitty looked up at me for a moment before meowing once again.

I smiled at it and kneeled before it, reaching my hand towards it with my palm up. Once it sniffed my palm, it rubbed it's head against my hand lovingly. Since that was an obvious sign of trust, I continued to pet it. It's fur was extremely soft, like how a kitten's fur would feel before the adult fur grew in. I let my hand travel from it's head down to it's tail. As I did so, I felt the spine of the cat along its backside and I could feel it's ribs on it's side. It must be starving. No wonder it was out here meowing.