27 | Joseph

It was the end of January now, it was still freezing and the snow was still piling up within every minute. 

It seemed like everything was going back to normal, those bad memories still haunted us but it didn't matter, August and I were strong enough to push them away. But something was still, I know it didn't matter and I was probably overreacting but I felt like something was still off. I shook my head, I splashed cold water into my face shaking off the sleep, I couldn't believe that August and I are going to be great a in a few months, I still felt like I had so much to do. I walked out the bathroom to my room, I pulled a black Tee from my closet slipping it over torso. The sky was clear today but snow was coming again, I grabbed my coat jogging down the stairs to the kitchen. August was already down there stuffing her face with pancakes, jeez, was she binge eating?

"You're gonna get fat," I said sitting next to her, she stopped glaring at me.

"I can't help it..." she mumbled in a reply, "you know I eat a lot when I'm nervous....."

I raised my eyebrows, "what's to be Nehru's about today?" I asked, she dropped her fork leaning back.

"None of your business...."

Mom giggled pouring herself a cup of coffee, what? Did mom know?

"Do you know?" I asked her.

"Yes, I do but I can't say." Mom said, "It's a kept secret between us girls."

I sighed, I quickly ate my pancakes, August has been keeping a secret from me, I know what it is but I just don't know who the secret is about.

"I know it's about your crush." I said to her, "why can't you just tell me who it is?"

Mom sighed, "it's complicated, Joseph, it really is."

"You know who?" I gasped.

She glanced to August who's face was as red as a tomato, jeez, am I the only one who doesn't know?

"Yes, I do, and August has told me that-" mom tried to say but August cut her off.

"Mom!"

"Well, honey, you know it's okay, as long as this man didn't do anything-" mom was cut off again.

"He didn't!" August groaned, "it's just some dumb crush!"

"Well, honey, from what you said to me last night it didn't seem like it." Mom smiled, I glanced at August who looked lost like she wasn't sure if she was doing the right thing.

"It's okay," I smiled to her, "whoever it is, I'll try to be supportive unless he does drugs, drinks, speaks fowl, is ten years older, and is a complete jerk."

August laughed, she glanced at me smiling. "He isn't any of those things...."

"Good." I smiled, I stood up noticing the time, if we stayed any later we'd be late. "Let's go."

August nodded, we left our plates in the sink saying goodbye to mom. Heather began picking us up in her dad's truck, he got a new one a month ago so now she's able to drive around.

"Hey guys! " Heather smiled, we climbed in tightly.

"Hey." I smiled, it's been a few weeks since we began dating, and it still sent electricity up my spine.

"Graduation is coming up soon," Heather said, "can't believe the year has gone by so fast."

"I know, it feels too soon." August groaned, she to cukes her chin into her scarf.