Ch 14- That Huntress, Revealed (Part 2)

Sebastian descended the stairs at a slow pace, intending to frighten her further, even if he could already smell her from upstairs. He got to the last step, stopping when he saw her there, nearly naked, bloody, and crumpled on the floor.

He could tell her arm and leg were broken by the way they layed there and the way the bone stuck out. By the way she was breathing, her rib was broken as well. He'd heard the cracks when she hit the floor, but he hadn't thought she'd broken anything.

He took the last step and continued walking toward her, watching her tremble, as a memory flowed into his mind.

************

Sebastian watched from the shadows as Emily's family helped the now thirteen year old girl prepare for her first hunt. They were not helping so much as trying to talk her out of it.

"Are you sure you are ready for this?" Sebastian heard her younger brother, Carson, ask for the fifth time tonight.

"Yes, I am sure," Emily retorted, her voice full of authority. "I decided I wanted to do this, so I will stand by my choice."

"We just do not want anything to happen to you," Garret said as he and her other siblings grabbed her in a hug.

Over the past three years, Sebastian had watched Emily become the mother they had lost.

Emily brushed off their hug and fastened the belt around her waist, the weapons inside making it fall loosely on her hips. She may have been a mother figure, but that did not mean she accepted any types of affection. Really, the only person she would let touch her was Sebastian.

"Your elder sister knows what she is doing," Enrico Maxwell, their father, said as he entered the room, his hands behind his back.

Sebastian saw a flash of something in Emily's eyes as she looked at her father, but it disappeared before anyone else could notice.

"Your sister has trained well these last few years. She has finally realized her true potential," Maxwell continued, his smile broadening.

"I thought her true petition was singing," Jasmine said, her six year old innocence still intact.

"Potential, Jasmine," Emily corrected. "Besides, I only sing as a cover up."

"Just... just please be careful," Allison said as Anderson, her uncle, walked into the room.

"Emily, it is time," Anderson said.

Emily was about to go forward when Maxwells arm stopped her.

"Your mother wanted to give you this before your first hunt," Maxwell said as he pulled a pure silver bow and a black quiver filled with pure silver arrows. "She had it specially made just for you."

Emily took the bow and quiver carefully, slinging the quiver over her back and holding the bow.

Sebastian could see the grip she had on the bow. He knew she would treasure it. Her mother had not left much behind.

Her uncle led her out of the castle and into the quiet streets of Rome, Italy with Sebastian following behind without being noticed by Alexander.

"Have you read the report?" Alexander asked as they entered the slums of the city.

"Yes. Male vampire believed to be stalking and feeding off of citizens of the city. Killings started out in the slums and began branching out into the higher class areas. The vampire is believed to be a fledgling and of no real threat, but is still on the hit list," Emily repeated like she and Sebastian had practiced.