Chapter 20 A Few Adjustments

Gemma, Kaitlyn and Adrianna were having a lively conversation while they prepared breakfast. "You ride horses every morning!" Gemma said.

"Did you enjoy yourself Gemma?" Adrianna asked.

"Oh yes, that was my first time on a horse."

"After breakfast we are going shopping for clothes," Adrianna said. "My sisters are all coming."

"I'm watching Sam's kids today, he's starting on the barn," Kaitlyn said.

"Just bring the kids, Aliyah and Ellie are coming," Adrianna said.

"I'll ask Sam."

"Good morning ladies," James said as he entered the kitchen.

"So you're still walking after last night!" Adrianna teased.

"Just barely, Addie!" James said, returning her tease, "ridding me so hard. Now I'm starving for sustenance." Adrianna blushed.

"We're taking Gemma shopping for clothes today. She has on her only one dress," Adrianna said changing the subject.

"What do you sleep in?" Kaitlyn asked.

"Nuthin."

"Well we'll remedy that too."

"I've not seen the barn yet," James said.

"It's big," Adrianna started. "It can hold about six horses and two carriages. It has a moderately sized apartment attached to it. It has five rooms and hot and cold water."

"How much land?"

"The lot is about ten acres. We purchased an additional wood lot. We even have a pond hidden in the wood lot. The Pettibone creek passes through the lot."

"You did well, both of you," James said. "My finances have taken a blow since we arrived. The imperial government has frozen my assets, and confiscated the ships I own."

"You own ships?" Adrianna asked.

"We crossed on one of my ships. I'm just trying to say we are going to have to make a few adjustments, that's all."

"I don't care that we're poor James," Adrianna said as she took his hand. "I'll love you forever."

"I didn't saw we were poor," James continued to hold her hand, "my assets here in the Republic are safe and so are my mines and ships. It's just that I can't afford a large household staff."

"I'm good at cleaning and stuff!" Gemma said.

"Thank you Gemma, but we can afford a housekeeper, a cook and a groom for the horses. I would like you to attend school."

"Kaitlyn said she'd teach me," Gemma said.

"So I take it you are planning on getting horses and a carriage?" Adrianna said.

"I'll make inquiries and start interviewing next week."

"But James, I like to cook."

"Then let the cook assist. I believe you start school in three weeks."

"So soon."

After breakfast Kaitlyn went over to Sam's home and returned with Eryka and the twins. James left to visit the mines and the group of dragon riders arrived to pick up Gemma, Kaitlyn and Adrianna. "What are you wearing?" Adrianna exclaimed.

"It's our sari, you like?" Elodia laughed as she twirled around.

"YES!" Adrianna said the others nodding.