Chapter 3 Between a rock and a hard place

James was furious when he spun her around and faced her. Her eyes were wide with terror and she was visibly shaking. "Who are you?"

"Adrianna...Addie."

"Are you a thief girl?"

"Please, please let me go," her voice barely audible as she begged.

"You know what they do with thieves Addie?" She responded by shaking her head. The absolute terror in her face and her trembling had a strong effect on James. "They crucify them naked, did you know that!" he shouted. Adrianna's legs could no longer hold her weight and she collapsed on to the floor. James realized she was just a girl, a girl like his sister. He lifted her and lay her on the bed.

"Please...please."

"Settle down girl, let's talk," James replied. The red dress has slipped off her left shoulder and he saw the angry bruises on her body. He also saw the clay figure on the vanity. "What did you steal?"

"The soap."

"Anything else?"

"Not yet."

"What about the dress, and the jewels?"

"I couldn't...not from the dead girl."

"Why not, you were planning to take more?"

"I...I don't know. Too much sadness in this room."

"You are a thief aren't you?"

"Yes. I have no choice."

"Who beat you?" he asked, his voice softer, the evidence of her mistreatment shocking him and increasing his anger.

"My uncle...please let me go." James looked at her not able to find words. She was so tiny and he thought of his sister. His sister was tiny and so frail. He had watched his beloved sister die as he held her unable to do anything to alive her pain or mitigate her suffering. The thought of another girl's suffering was more than he could bare. He was furious with this girl for entering his sister's room, but he had no idea what to do.

"Please, just let me go!"

"I can't. I'll not." She just looked at him as the tears poured from her eyes.

"I'll do anything for you!"

"Anything?"

"I'm a virgin, I'll do anything...just let..."

"No!" he cut her off.

When Adrianna's co-conspirators heard her shriek her uncle said, "Damn that girl. Francis run out to the street and start shouting.

"What should I say?"

"Just shout thief, thief until you bring the Vigilees. Just go...NOW!" Francis ran out to the street and shouted as instructed. This brought a series of loud whistles as the Vigilees responded blowing their whistles in alarm and surrounded the villa. They pounded on the door and were admitted by a group of frightened servants. The night soil crew pointed to a third story window and told the Vigilees they had seen an armed man enter there and a woman scream.

James lifted Adrianna off the bed, then pulled down the bed coverings and put her back on the bed and covered her. "Trust me," he whispered. Then leaving her alone ran down the hall and opened a window, then returned to her bedside as the captain of the Vigilees walked into the room.

"James, everything all right?"

"Captain Gerard, thank you for you fast response."

"Who's the girl?" he asked seeing Adrianna huddled under the covers, curled up tight, and apparently terrified.