Chapter 14 Making a Home

"What do you think about the house Addie?" Theodora asked.

"I love it Teddi, Kaitlyn what do you think?"

"It needs a lot of work but it's huge and has real potential."

"We'll take it Teddi."

"Your neighbor, Sam Ewardson is a very skilled carpenter," Elodia said. "He has fallen onto hard times with his wife June's death, but I think you may be able to hire him for most of the work."

"I will interview him tomorrow," Kaitlyn said.

"You can tell him we recommended him," Elodia said softly.

"Now we're of horseback riding!" Maryann said. "We have plenty of horses so do come."

"This is my daughter Ellie," Theodora said.

"And this is my daughter Aliyah," Susan said.

"Good morning ladies," Kaitlyn and Adrianna said smiling.

"Are you dragon riders?" Aliyah asked.

"She is," Kaitlyn said, "I don't have a dragon yet."

"Me neither," Ellie said with a sigh, "and I've been waiting SO LONG." The dragon riders laughed and Theodora hugged her child. They mounted the horses and rode about the village, stopping frequently to talk to other equestrians.

"You ride quite well Kay," Susan observed.

"I had a pony as a child," Kaitlyn said, "I galloped all over my parent's estate. It's been a long time but I love to ride."

"It's my first time!" Adrianna said.

"Wait until Ruby's bigger, then you'll fly!" Elodia said.

Later that day the six women crossed the bay to visit the Shaman's Modiste. "You only have that one dress so we're taking you to our favorite dressmaker. Addie they will measure you for your uniform today. Then we need to visit Coven House, Mother Ruth has a necklace for the both of you." Maryann said talking fast.

"Can we get the short skirts like you wear?" Adrianna asked.

"Of course, it's the latest stile." Maryann replied.

"I realize Addie seldom wears shoes," Kaitlyn observed, "but none of you do either!"

"You should try it Kaitlyn," Adrianna teased.

"We're sisters, all of us," Elodia said.

"Stunningly beautiful sisters!" Theodora added laughing, "So let's flaunt it."

By the time they left the shop Kaitlyn and Adrianna were wearing the short skirts and had purchased two more each. Theodora had arranged to have the dresses delivered to her home along with Kaitlyn's shoes. Adrianna and Kaitlyn had been measured for her uniform and they left in brightly colored short dresses and barefoot. Later that day the six sisters were soaking in the baths in the capitol. "I was never allowed in the Imperial City baths," Adrianna said as she enjoyed the warm water.

"Why not, their open to everyone I thought," Theodora said.

"I was an untouchable, a night soil collector."

"Well you're a dragon rider now," Elodia said.

"We shouldn't tell you both, but we got ourselves kicked out of here twice," Theodora said and the others laughed.

"Whatever for Teddi?"

"I'll show you...CANNONBALL!" Theodora shouted as she stood at the pool side and jumped it. The others followed and after several minutes of horseplay, that included water fights, splashing and jumping, they were politely requested to leave, all of them laughing as they dressed and left. They were in a boisterous mood as they walked six abreast singing on their way to Coven House. They responded to the cat call and whistles by smiling and waving.