Chapter 11 Camping Out

Adrianna moved to the front of the wagon and sat on a box behind James. "I see you're awake Half Pint," James said.

"I've been awake for a while, I was really tired after helping that little girl. I've been reading about dragons."

"You like your book?"

"Very much, I think my dragon will hatch today or tomorrow."

"You sure?"

"Sure enough to where I grabbed a few of the summer sausage. I'll need to feed it, after that it will take care of itself."

"Have you decided on a name?" James asked.

"Rudy, I like that name and it's good for a boy or a girl...James?"

"Yes Sweet Heart."

"I'm afraid...what if they come after me?"

"We will keep going tonight. You two can sleep in the wagon. I'll rest the horses in a bit then push on. Time and distance will keep us safe."

"I'm so sorry James," Adrianna started to cry. "I've been nothing but trouble." James stopped the horses and pulled her on to his lap.

"I love you Addie, I've never had so much fun."

"Really?" Adrianna smiled hopefully.

"Will you marry me Adrianna?" She gave a loud squeal.

"YES OH YES!" Then she started kissing him.

"Will the next town be good?" he asked. She was beaming as she shook her head yes. "Then Pickney it is. I'll marry you there, I was going to wait until your birthday but I can't wait that long. "

They stopped twice to rest the horses and let them graze. They ate the hard rolls and cheese they had with them not wanting to start a fire. Kaitlyn bedded down in the back of the wagon, and Adrianna took the bench seat next to him as they rode through the night. "You should get a little sleep to Addie."

"I'm not tired. I want to be with you." About an hour later she was nodding off against him trying to stay awake. James stopped the horses, carried her to the back of the wagon, placing her next to Kaitlyn and covering her with a blanket, and resumed the journey.

Adrianna woke the next morning, she heard her egg cracking and felt it rocking. "My dragon!" she shouted as the tiny dragon broke free of the egg. She quickly sliced the summer sausage and offered it to the dragon. James and Kaitlyn ran to the back of the wagon and watched as the greedy little dragon took the meat as fast as Adrianna could slice it. She was afraid the little dragon was going to choke. "Slow down you greedy little thing!" The dragon's belly bulged with its meal'

"Chirrup." The little dragon landed on her shoulder and then curled contentedly around her neck.

"Is it a girl or a boy?" James asked.

"No idea." They resumed their travel and Adrianna still tired lay under her blanket in the back of the wagon.

About four hours later James spoke. "We have arrived. Come stretch your legs, you've been sleeping."

"Where's the horses?"

"There's an old barn over there. I just fed them some hay. Come help me with the tent."

"It's not a big tent."

"Big enough, I'll divide it with this sheet so you girls can have privacy."

"Where's Kaitlyn?"

"She found an oven in the burned out house and is cooking."

"I'll go help her." She finished with the tent and joined Kaitlyn.