Chapter 19 Left Behind

Elodia's dragon circled down landing in the yard near the other dragons. The other dragons all had their saddles off and were being brushed down and their skin oiled by their dragon riders. "Where's Addie?" Kaitlyn asked as she strolled over. Elodia turned and saw James sitting apparently in shock.

"James, where is Addie?" Elodia asked.

"She jumped off," James voice broke as he spoke, "she jumped off!"

"When?"

"I...I don't know."

"Kaitlyn if she jumped while we crossed the void she's gone," Elodia whispered.

"No, I saw her land on the ground," Gemma said. "She ran back to my door way."

"What did she say James?" Kaitlyn asked. James told them, barley able to maintain his composure.

"OH! I understand now." Elodia said. "Pip had trouble lifting off. You know how sometimes it takes a bit for them to increase their buoyancy?" The others nodded. "Addie doesn't know that. She must have jumped off so we could escape."

"Let's go back for her now!" James said.

"We'll never find her, the place was crowded with everyone going to see the fire."

Ruby uncloaked just above them and flew to Elodia. "Ruby's back," Elodia said. The little dragon danced around Elodia trying to get her attention.

"Odie, I think Ruby's trying to tell you something," Kaitlyn said. Elodia knelt by the little dragon and opening the purse around her neck removed the two letters.

"James, this one is for you. She's OK. She made it back to the inn and is back in the room you rented."

"She is one resourceful girl!" Theodora said.

"Take me to her, please," James said.

"You can't even walk James!" Kaitlyn said.

"We have time," Elodia said. "Eli you and Walter help James inside." The two men assisted James down and into Elodia's home.

"I need to take care of Pip. Then I'll wash up and change, then we'll meet back here. We'll do a 'laying of hands' for James."

"I'll take Gemma home," Kaitlyn said. "Gemma just follow me, you get to stay with us. We have a room for you. I bet you're tired."

"Is Addie coming back?"

"We'll never just leave a sister behind Gemma," Maryann said. Gemma took Kaitlyn's hand and was led to her room.

"This is your room now."

"I've never had a bed that big! Or even a real room. What kind of work will I be doing?"

"We are all family here Gemma. You're a sister. Your sisters will all want to take you shopping for clothes once Addie's back." Gemma was speechless as she climbed into her bed still dressed in her only dress. The bed smelled of fresh linen and it felt so soft and warm. Slipping out of her dress she climbed into the bed and under the thick blanket. She fell quickly asleep, here she was safe for the first time she could remember.

The dragon riders all gathered around James. "James you have been through a lot. We can easily heal your bruises. We performed a scan, and you have a badly sprained ankle and a dislocated shoulder. Four of your ribs are broken. Your concussion alone should have finished you."

"James has always been unusually stubborn," Kaitlyn said as she smiled at him.

"And you've always said I was a blockhead," James teased her back.