Chapter 32 Flying Cap

They were waiting in the vacant lobby when Adrianna saw the dragons land. Stella and Geraldine rode Ruby. She grabbed James by the hand and led him out. "James ride with Pip, I'll fly cap."

"I'm flying cap," Elodia said, "you're not even dressed for flight."

"I've seen the dragon up close Odie. It has a weakness I can exploit."

"Man and dragon must not unite in battle Addie!"

"I'm just a girl," Adrianna responded with a wry smile.

"What does cap mean?" James asked.

"Bait!" Adrianna said with a smile.

"Then I'm flying with you."

"You're just too heavy. Gabby is just a feather. I know what I'm doing," James started to protest so she silenced him with a kiss, "Trust me."

They got everyone strapped down and took flight, they had rearranged everyone with Adrianna and Gemma on Ruby. "Stay above the city for just a moment longer. Once we see the dragon enter the void and I'll wait and then enter the void and let the dragon follow. It only took a few seconds when they spotted the imperial dragon. "GO!" Adrianna shouted as the dragon began chasing her. "Take me to our island Ruby."

Ruby passed through the void and the imperial dragon was following. One of the gunners fired a harpoon but Ruby rolled out and avoided it.

"What is their weakness?" Gemma asked.

"They are much slower, and the riders don't strap in." A second and a third harpoon were fired, Ruby was alerted by the loud reports and dove out of range. "Ruby climb fast and head for that cloud. They can't reload in a climb." The imperial dragon followed them matching the steep climb but falling behind. "When you enter the cloud stall and do a flip roll like we practiced." Ruby quickly shed speed allowing the Imperial dragon to close. Then entering the cloud executed a perfect flip roll and dived on the other dragon blowing flame. Both gunners surprised by the move and the flame lost their grip and fell from the dragon. The dragon rider remained on the dragon and was engulfed in flame. The dragon realizing the rider was dieing entered the void, never to return.

"What happened?" Gemma asked.

"When a rider dies its dragon enters the void to perish with him."

"Is that true Ruby?" Gemma asked.

"Yes, I was ready to go myself, the grief would be too much to bare."

"Well, I'm happy to be alive Ruby."

"Me to," Ruby replied. They entered the void and returned to the sky above Novi. They were loudly cheered by friends and family as they touched down and reported on the loss of the second imperial dragon.

The Imperial Fleet entered the delta and were met by the Navy of the Republic that had been lying in wait. The delta people managed to close most of the channels funneling them into a trap. The Republic's navy simply out gunned the Imperial Navy. Every troop ship was a total loss as Navy of the Republic pursued the fleet across the gulf. They landed marines on the basis in the peninsula destroying them and their stores. An expeditionary force marched through Pipsqueak's Pass and destroyed all the supplies they could find then returned home. The imperial dragon never appeared in the sky above the battles to lend support. The war ended with the imperial fleet in tatters, three quarters of their capital ships sent to the bottom.