Chapter Sixteen: The Plan

I spilled everything to Joe and either he had no idea of what Nick was doing or he was putting up a big act in not knowing.  He genuinely looked confused and lost like me though, so I took his actions.  I explained to him how Frankie found this magazine and that I bought it and read what really went on behind my back.  Joe would keep rubbing my back whenever tears would fall.

We were probably sitting on my bunk for about forty-five minutes, and all Joe was doing was making sure I was okay.  He said nothing, just letting me get all of this out.  By the end, my eyes weren't producing any more tears.  I was in shock.  I couldn't believe that Nick would do something like this to me.  It made no sense to me.  My eyes looked up to Joe, trying to find some sort of answer from his chocolate brown eyes.  I felt his stare almost looking into my soul and I looked away.

"I can't believe Nick did that..  And you're absolutely positive about it?" his voice was hushed, making sure his words wouldn't make me burst into more tears.  I nodded to him as I grabbed the magazine from the bunk.

Showing him the article, his brown eyes were skimming over the page and his eyes widened and then looked at me.  "He cheated on you with Jessica J?!" his voice was not hushed that time.  He let it all out standing up and in his face, I can see how disappointed in his brother he was.

I could feel the slight sting in my eyes, warning me that tears wanted to fall.  "I know.." I softly let out, "Now I know where he was during my party.."  I thought back to my birthday and remembered that I didn't see Nick as often until Jessica J had left.  She kind of did come out of nowhere as well.  Small tears dropped down to my cheeks as I looked down at the pictures.

Nick's arms were around Jessica J's waist and her arms were around his neck.  "The picture looks like it's near your house..  Like your backyard.." I spoke softly and watched as Joe looked over the magazine.  He nodded to affirm my hypothesis.

"What are you going to do..?" he asked me, his voice was soft again.

He asked a good question.  Am I supposed to call out Nick on the whole thing?  Ask him why he did it?  Cry to him about it?  Keep it to myself and let the media take over?  I don't know.  My eyes looked to his and I shrugged, my heart was pounding and he wrapped his arms around me once again.  "I don't think I will be able to be in his presence.." I whispered in a cracked voice.

"You're going to run?" Joe was shocked, as was I as he jumped to that conclusion.  But I realized, that was what I wanted to do.  I wanted to run away from this problem.  Run away from confronting Nick.

"Joe.. Nick cheated on me.  It would have been different if we were in a math class taking a test, but he cheated on me with freakin' Jessica J!" I was getting angry now.  Jessica J and I had nothing in common.  The two of us were worlds apart, and I really don't understand why he would do something like this to me.  "I know what I have to do."

Joe looked at me, his brown eyes were wide with wonder and his shirt was soaked with my tears.  I bit my lip and looked away.  "What?" he asked and looked at the ground then I could feel his stare back at me.

"I have to leave," my voice was soft, wondering what Joe was thinking of my choice.

He just looked at me, blank stare, then he pulled me into a hug.  "Where will you go?  We're too far from your house," he stated as he pulled away from the hug.  "When will you go...?"

"I have to go as soon as possible.  I won't be able to look at Nick with a normal face.  I will burst into tears.  Joe, you are the only one who I've told that I know of this.  Apparently word hasn't got out yet.  Not that I know yet," I said and ran my hand through my damp hair.