Chapter 22

P.o.v Adam

My phone alert goes off in the silent car, disrupting the intense atmosphere. It's from Ian, so I read it aloud: Gallows lake. Now. That is if you want to see Patrick one last time before he dies.

He knows.

"Joe! Gallows lake, now!! Ian knows, and he.... Just go now!" I yell to Joseph who is driving. He does as I say, and turns the car around quickly, a look of terror and panic on Pete and Andy's faces.

P.o.v Patrick

I slowly open my groggy eyes, my gaze meeting an atmosphere filled with many stars and three separate moons scattered across the night sky. I swallow, my throat raw and dry. My neck is stiff as I slowly sit up, finding that my wrists are now tied to my ankles, the cinder block Ian had grabbed now attached to the rope between my hands and ankles with a chain.

I look around, noticing I am in a boat in the center of some sort of lake or pond, along with Ian. "Ah, you're awake." He says, smiling. "This was a hard decision for me to make, Patrick. But then I had to realize that you are merely replaceable, so it made this whole situation a little less awkward for me. But just know, that you will always be special to me." Ian explains casually, patting my leg. His attention to me is interrupted, though, when the sound of an engine breaks through the silence. A car pulls up along the banks, four people getting out. I perk when I notice through the darkness it is Andy, Pete, Joseph, and Adam.

"Just in time." Ian says under his breath, his smile widening. "You're just in time!" He shouts across the lake, the moons glowing off it's undisturbed surface. "Just stop, Ian, it's over!!" Adam yells back. Ian chuckles, and approaches me, getting a grip underneath my arms and pulling me up. "Take a good look now, because you'll never see them again." He whispers in my ear. 

"You'll be ok, Patrick!" Andy shouts, his voice cracking. "Why must you lie, Andrew?" Ian replies, and pulls the chain that holds the cinder block up. Suddenly, he drops the cinder block into the dark water, not even a second passing before he pushes me over the boat along after it, the cold water enveloping me as I am dragged deeper and deeper to my death.

I struggle relentlessly, the bubbles whizzing past as I am rapidly pulled down into the depths of the lake, loosing breath each precious second that passes. But the ropes don't slack. The cinder block doesn't stop falling. And no one is coming to my rescue.

I watch as the water becomes darker and the surface grows more distant, my lungs aching for air that is nonexistent, my heart aching for home.