Chapter 19

Katniss

"Hey sweetheart!" Haymitch bursts through the door, waking me up from my nap. He slams the door closed and pulls off his jacket and bag. "I got you something today." I rub my eyes and yawn, still half asleep from my nap.

"What is it?" I groan sitting up.

"A cell phone." I freeze.

"Haymitch! Why would you do that?!"

"Well, I figured, once you get off bed rest, you'll probably want to find a job, hang out with your friends, etc., and I realized I would be a lot more comfortable if you had a phone to contact me if needed." I take the brand new phone in my hands and examine it.

"Haymitch, Thank you. Will you teach me how to use it?" He nods and sits down next to me. He presses a button on it to turn it on. After putting in his contact information, he hands it back to me.

"Okay, so, if you want to add another contact, press on this, and it will bring you to your contacts. Click 'add new' and enter their number. To call someone, press here, and then click on their name, or type their number in on the keypad. Got it?" I nod and smile.

"Thank you."

"Your welcome." He walks into the kitchen to make dinner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sit on my bed examining my phone. It's so shiny. And new. I'm afraid of dropping it and shattering it, wasting Haymitch's money. I hear him call me for dinner. I walk in the kitchen and realize when we went to 'make' dinner, he really just got Chinese take out. Fine by me.

Later, as I lay in bed, I think about Haymitch. How long will I be able to stay with him until it gets weird? Four years at most? I'm only sixteen, Is 20 the age people usually move out? Maybe it's 18, for the kids who choose to go to college, but I don't have the money for college. The thought of Haymitch paying for my college tuition crosses my mind but is immediately shut down. Haymitch will not pay for my college tuition. Peeta is the next thought that crosses my brain. He said he wants to go to district 12 university so he can work at the bakery, but now that they're not in district 12 anymore, I don't know where he is going. I miss Peeta. I wish there was a way I could keep in touch with him. I sigh and roll over.

Wait.

I sit up and grab my phone.

I can get a hold of him.

The worst part of my plan is that I have to wait five whole days until I can get his number from Finnick. It's then I realize, If I go to sleep Monday will come faster. I am out like a light.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haymitch

*The next day*

I wake up at six in the morning to get ready for work. Katniss still has four days left on bed rest. Poor kid has gotten so restless. I think all she does is watch jeopardy, the Caesar Flickerman show, and sleep. I don't know how that poor soul has watched Caesar Flickerman for three weeks straight. I swear that man is a clown. If he were in the circus his name would be Bimbo the Clown, because Bimbo is the only word I can use to describe him at the moment. I glance down at my watch and realize I will be late if I don't leave now. I grab my coffee and poke my head into Katniss's room.

"Bye, Katniss. I'll be back at 3. Call me if you need anything." Her eyes peek open and she gives me a light smile. I shut the door and head to my car.

*Time lapse to 2:00*

Still Haymitch

My morning was interesting again. At 8:30, I had Finnick Odair outside my office asking to ponder life with me. I don't think he realizes I am the Principal, not the counselor.