Chapter 2

(The next Monday)

Sometimes I feel like I'm not good enough to be here. Even if I live in the lowest of lows, I feel like I don't deserve even what I have. My parents told me they loved me, and they would be here for me always. That always turned into never. They died a month later and left me with no food or shelter. In their will they said they were giving it all to Prim. Which I would've wanted, if she were alive. But she's not, and I asked if that meant I got all they're things, they said no. They only distribute belongings of the people to who the will says to give it to.

Here I am.

It makes since though. Prim was always their favorite. I understand why. Prim was better than me at everything. Everything except one thing. Hunting. But even she could shoot, She just wasn't as good as me.

I think about this as I make the long walk to school. I shouldn't be alive. This is what replays through my head as I approach to school, with my brown leather messenger bag slung over my shoulder, and my thin jacket. The wind is blowing as I walk through the cool November air. I walk through the doors of the heated school. The warm air hits me like a gust of wind. Really warm wind. This is the warmest I've been since august. I can tell some good, will come out of this. I walk into Haymitch's office and he looks up and see's me. He smirks, which isn't surprising. I don't think this man has a genuine smile. "I knew Miss Everdeen would show up. Everything you need to know is on this sheet of paper. Its got your schedule, locker number and your combo."

I nod. "Thank you Haymitch. I don't think you know how much this means to me."

"Yeah yeah, kid. now hurry up class starts in five minutes." I run out of his office to see if I can find locker 241 and somehow manage to get it open and get to class on time.

I got lucky. Locker 241 was right around the corner from Haymitch's office, so I quickly scramble to open my locker. I shove my coat in my locker and run down the hall to my class. I walk into Ms. Trinket's room. I scan the room looking for a good spot in the back to sit. I sit in the back corner, by the window, and just as I set my things down the bell rings. Ms. Trinket comes In and my eyes widen. She is wearing the most extravagant clothes I have ever seen. Its a bright pink dress and gloves, with high high heels and a crazy what I'm assuming (and partially hoping) is a wig. She smiles really dramatically. "Hello class! Isn't it a great morning!" She goes off about morning announcements, and I'm not really listening until Haymitch walks in.

"Good morning everyone. I just wanted to let you know that we have a new student joining us today! Katniss please stand up." I mentally slap Haymitch for doing this to me. I awkwardly stand up and smile.

"Why don't you say something about yourself?" Ms. Trinket asks me.

"Ummmm. Well I like nature, I guess. And, being outside..." I respond not so sure of my answer.

"What do you like to do outside?" She asks still smiling that awkward smile thats just too big.

"Uh I like climbing trees." An awkward silence falls over the room.

"Well thank you Katniss! We look forward to having you in class the rest of the year!" I nod. I start to sit down, until Haymitch waves me out into the hallway. I walk out and face him.

"If you ever need help, or just to get away from the class, just quietly excuse yourself and come to my office."

"Thank you Haymitch. I might take advantage of that."

He pushes me back toward the class, an just as i'm about to go in, he speaks.

"Hey." I turn around. "Make some friends"