Chapter 12

When I wake up, I'm alone. Peeta must've left after I fell asleep. I get out of my bed and go get dressed. I have to be at the bakery in five minutes, which isn't much of a problem, the bakery is literally connected to the Mellark's house. There's a door you walk through, and boom, you're in the kitchen. I throw on the t-shirt they gave me and some jeans and socks and run downstairs to grab my shoes. I grab some flats Peeta bought me for my birthday and run out the door where I appear in the kitchen.  I pull on an apron, which isn't really needed because I'm not the one baking,  but they insist I wear one anyways. "Good morning Katniss." I jump at the voice and whip around. 

"Oh, Jonathan, you scared me!" My voice breaths relief. I honestly was scared. 

"Sorry Katniss, Didn't mean to scare you." 

"No, no, thats okay, I just zoned out there for a minute." 

"Hey, have you seen Peeta? I haven't seen him all morning." He asks me. 

"Sorry, I haven't. That's weird, usually he makes sure I'm up." 

"Oh, weird. I should probably go find him, his mother will be pissed if he misses his shift." I nod. I too have faced Mrs. Mellark after missing a shift. Never again will I miss a shift.

I run to the counter after hearing the bell rings signaling someone has walked in.  To my surprise, Haymitch is standing at the counter.

"Katniss Everdeen, I thought you worked at the hob." 

"Haymitch, the hob closed months ago." 

"Oh, thats a shame, haven't been to that side of the town in awhile, you know?" I smile. 

"Yeah well, neither have I, I suppose." 

"That makes since, you live in the seam." My face twists in confusion. Doesn't Haymitch know I lived in the woods for years? Maybe he knew what Sae did, that I had a house, but no family. Maybe it's time he knows.

"Haymitch, I live with the Mellarks." 

"What! Why?" 

"Find a spot to sit down, I'll go grab someone to take over for a while." I run into the kitchen and find Alex getting out ingredients for what looks like scones. "Alex, can you take over at the counter for a couple minutes? There's someone here that I need to talk to." 

"Yeah, sure." He follows me out of the kitchen and replaces me at the counter. I find Haymitch in the corner by the heater, the same place I fell asleep just a few months back. 

"Um okay, so, where did you think I was living and why? I'll clear up anything thats false." he nods

"Okay. So, as far as I know, your parents died when you were eleven, you stayed in their old house, got a job at the hob, and lived off of the money you made and what was left in your parents bank account." I shake my head. 

"No. I was eleven when my parents died, but I didn't get the house or the money. All of that went to the district. I was living off the bare minimum for five years. That is until I met Peeta." I proceed to tell him about all the miraculous ways Peeta has helped me. 

"Katniss, if I would've known about this, you would have been staying with me since the second your parents passed. I thought you were doing okay, but I guess not. Katniss, if you ever need anywhere to stay at anytime, my door is always open." 

"Thank you Haymitch, I might take advantage of that. I hate intruding on their family."

"I know. It must be hard." I nod

"Yeah, It is." I take a deep breath. "Peeta's father reminds me a lot of mine. Very kind, willing to help anybody. It makes it hard to say no. Yesterday, he gave me five hundred dollars, for one week of work. I asked Peeta if he had anything to do with it, and he said he told him to give me more than him. I just don't like taking their time, money, and things if I don't deserve it, which I don't. They've tried to take me out to dinner with them, but most of the time I refuse. Usually about once a month Peeta makes me go. I just feel like I can't thank him enough. I thank him every day, and every time he goes out of his way to do something nice for me."