Chapter 18

KATNISS POV

I never realized how boring bed rest actually is. I thought it might be kind of nice to catch up on lost sleep, but really its just sitting or laying down constantly. Haymitch is trying to keep me entertained, which I appreciate, but spending too much time with someone like Haymitch can get bad.

"Do you have a four?"

"Go fish."

"UGH! Come on, Katniss!"

"What did I do?"

"I would've won"

"Well sorry, I don't have a four! If I did, I would've given it to you!"

"Just take your turn."

I sigh. "Do you have a six?"

"Aw man!" He throws my six at me, meaning I win the game.

"Yes!" I slap the pair on the table along with the 9 others. "6th win in a row!"

"Beginners luck." I hear Haymitch mutter under his breath.

"Haymitch, I'm not a beginner. We've played this game for the past six days. Since I went on bed rest."

"Well then maybe you should go back to bed."

"NO!"

"Then shut up"

"Fine!" We sit in silence for a few minutes until Haymitch speaks up.

"Wanna play another round?" I smirk and shuffle the cards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's even worse now that Haymitch is back at school. I sit bored for forever. Sometimes I play solitare. I have no friends to call, so I sit by myself on the couch for 7 hours. My eyes always light up when I hear the key slipping in the door, because I know that means Haymitch is home and I can talk to someone again.

When this happens today, I am taking a nap.

I never heard him come in, but I woke up when I heard a pan crash to the ground. My head flew up and I looked around startled. "Sorry sweetheart." I groan and fall back down onto the couch. having been on bed rest, I'm actually quite tired.

"What are you attempting to cook?" I ask him while grabbing the remote and flipping on the TV

"Lamb stew. Ever had it before?" My mind flashes back to the first night I spent with Peeta. I remember it being delicious.

"Yes. I had it my first night at Peeta's house. It was good."

"Yeah, well mine won't be as good as his, but you're just going to have to deal with it."

"Do you want any help?"

"No. You're on bed rest!" I turn my attention back to the TV, but I'm not really paying attention. I hate day-time TV. I cant tell you how many episodes of jeopardy I have watched this past week since Haymitch has went back to school.

"You get your stitches out soon." Haymitch calls from the kitchen. I laugh.

"Trust me, I know. I have been counting down the days. Monday, approximately four days from now."

"Wow."

"Yeah. I'm sick of sitting, if you hadn't noticed."

"I did." He goes back to stirring the stew. after about 10 minutes he announces its ready and comes over to help me get up. I limp over to the table. The stew is good, but its not Peeta Mellark good. "Do you like it?" I look up. The meal has been silent until now, besides the constant noise from our spoons against our bowls. I nod with a smile. Haymitch notices my lack of words, and even though I am a quiet person, he knows by the look in his eye he knows I am not 100% honest. "What? What's wrong with it?" I look up again