Chapter 6

Katniss' point of view 

Wednesdays at work are usually busy. Maybe I'll make some good money today. I jump down from my tree and swing my bag over my shoulder. I run towards the edge of the woods, because according to my old crappy watch, I'm late. I arrive at the edge of the trees, and poke my head out. I look around, to make sure no one is watching, and bolt, from the trees to the park, which isn't to far away, but it is in the opposite direction of the school. No one can know I don't have a house. I don't know when I should tell Peeta. I know its hard for him to watch me get sicker by the day and not know why. Last week I almost fainted, but he caught me as I was falling. He's worried about me, and I feel bad, but I just can't. I casually walk into the street and my small weak body blends into everyone else on the way to school. I pass the bakery, which isn't far at all from the park, It's literally across the street. I see Peeta come out of the bakery and join the mob of people headed to school. The seniors are stressing to be in every possible club. They are also trying to make a name for themselves. Last week a guy in 12th grade, Cato, spray painted the teachers desk neon yellow. People are horrible. They just want a legacy. 

I go to my locker when we get to school, and put my coat away. Someone screams in my ear making me jump and whip around. my braid flings out and someone slams it in my locker pulling on it. I scream in pain and I look up to see who scared me. Clove and glimmer were laughing at me. 

"OW! What was the point of that?" I screamed. 

"To do this."  Glimmer says with a smug smile. She pulls out a pair of scissors, and cuts off my braid, leaving my hair chin length and uneven. They laugh and walk away. 

"Oh." I say under my breath. I reach up and touch the back of my neck, my hair cutting off right below my ears. Tears brew in my eyes. I  hold what used to be my braid and look at what used to be my hair. The warning bell rings and I grab my things and go to class. I sit through the first half of the day in silence. I do my work but don't say a word. People give me weird looks. Probably because my hair looks hideous, and I just ignore it. 

I get a salad from the salad bar, and go sit with the group. I sit down with my head down, and what's left of my hair covers my face. I start eating my salad, until Madge realizes i'm sitting there.

"Katniss?" I look up and the hair in my face falls back into place. I blink my dull gray eyes, and everyones jaw drops. "What happened to your hair?" Madge says astonished at the ugly sight sitting across from her. 

"Clove and Glimmer cut it off. I was at my locker and they scared me making me turn around, and they closed my locker with my braid caught in it, then the cut it all off. Now it's all uneven and short." 

"Oh, sweetie, I have a beanie in my locker, if you want it." Annie says coming over to me. I nod and get up following her to her locker. She pulls out a gray beanie, and hands it to me. I pull it on and look at myself in the mini mirror Annie has in her locker. I wish I hadn't. 

"Oh gosh." I say as I look at my self in the mirror. My voice comes out raspy from my illness. Annie gives me a hug. 

"I'm sorry Katniss." Annie says. I shake my head saying it's okay. We walk back to the cafeteria, and join the rest of the group. 

"Listen Katniss, about your hair-" Finnick starts. 

"Can we please not talk about this?" I say suddenly. They nod and finicky apologizes. I nod in acceptance. The next thing he brings up isn't much better though. 

"So, we are approaching the end of the year, and since we're all sophmores and need to look at colleges next year, What colleges are you guys thinking about going to?" College? I can't afford college! I can hardly scrape up enough money for a toothbrush. I just stay silent.